RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Please help me convert to Media Center?

StanHD

• 2 weeks later...

Since you have the Atom/Ion you could try CoreAVC inside media center. CoreAVC uses CUDA acceleration included on the Ion Chipset. I use it with my Atom 330 / Ion HTPC and it works flawlessly.

Take a look at this video I made... it shows the unit in action..

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/750-htpc-video-demo/

Edited by eobie

eobie,

Thanks for the video. Sure looks like it all works well. I did try Core AVC with Vista but without success. I think cskenney makes a good point. Vista is possibly the root of my problems. I know it's possibly a bit outside the general concencus, but I really like XBMC, it's just a shame that there isn't the flexibility I need. I have spent a fair while configuring & optimising XBMC and the family really like it so perhaps for now I will leave alone, however, I listened today to the opinions of the "Mikes" in their BYOB podcast. I think I might try to build a HTPC from scratch. Maybe a Core I3 base with Win7, and TMT3.

The Asrock Ion is a great piece of kit but I do understand it's limits, (or mine!), so perhaps time to move on and build a replacementsmile.gif

eobie,

Thanks for the video. Sure looks like it all works well. I did try Core AVC with Vista but without success. I think cskenney makes a good point. Vista is possibly the root of my problems. I know it's possibly a bit outside the general concencus, but I really like XBMC, it's just a shame that there isn't the flexibility I need. I have spent a fair while configuring & optimising XBMC and the family really like it so perhaps for now I will leave alone, however, I listened today to the opinions of the "Mikes" in their BYOB podcast. I think I might try to build a HTPC from scratch. Maybe a Core I3 base with Win7, and TMT3.

The Asrock Ion is a great piece of kit but I do understand it's limits, (or mine!), so perhaps time to move on and build a replacementsmile.gif

What were your problems with CoreAVC. There was an issue where is wouldn't activate CUDA when using Media Center in full screen. I'm not sure about now, but XBMC did not support DXVA in the past, which may make it difficult to play HD. They may have fixed that by now, not sure.

Guest no-control

I had that same issue with CUDA and CoreAVC. It just never worked. I eventually just yanked it out of there. I also think Vista is a step down from XP MCE W7 really is a MUCH better o/s offering from Microsoft for HTPCs. Only real way to know is to start over and see if performance improves. Don't give up on it yet! You may be disappointed if you build the i3 system and still have the same issue. I speak from experiance ;) My VM Server you'll hear about in BYOB show 2 was actually a failed attempt at an HTPC.

If you refer to my blog post on the HSS when I did my HTPC upgrade, I said the same thing about external codecs. I have tried the CoreAVC and others and they only serve in getting practice using the windows system restore or reformatting your drive. IMO, stay aways from theses independent codecs. If you need to play HD, then consider TMT 3 and combined with the native support from windows 7, you should be able to play anything except MKV.

i have CoreAVC on two HTPC's, neither have an issue. I am actually surprised you guys had problems with it. Their customer service sucks, but the product is ok.

I ma sure that many have had success but it is the luck of the draw. I had it running once but it was a hit and miss. You might get it to work but good luck if something changes and you have to troubleshoot.

Well, thanks everyone for the good advice and guidance, here is what I have decided to do.

The plan was to try and convert my Asrock Ion to Media Center from XBMC Live, which, although the family love to use, is really difficult to tweak. I am not satisfied with the quality of video, which was even more difficult to get right under Vista Home Premium.

So after listening to the BYOB podcast and some superb guidance from PC Doc, reading the forums and general research, I have decided to embark upon my first ever HTPC (or any other PC format) build.

This way the Asrock can carry on doing it's thing allowing us to watch movies, play our music and view our photos, whilst I build the new box and commission it. Then I will give the Asrock a new role elsewhere within our digital life!

The new HTPC (ordered the parts today) will be based around Intel Core i3, Media Center and / or perhaps Total Media Theatre 3.

That's all for the moment except to say that I intend to record my build within the BYOB section of the forums. I am really looking forward to doing it, but must say that I would never have entertained the thought had it not been from all the great info that I have accessed within the HSS podcasts, forums and latterly the BYOB content

So thanks all and here we go ................ soon!

Well, thanks everyone for the good advice and guidance, here is what I have decided to do.

The plan was to try and convert my Asrock Ion to Media Center from XBMC Live, which, although the family love to use, is really difficult to tweak. I am not satisfied with the quality of video, which was even more difficult to get right under Vista Home Premium.

So after listening to the BYOB podcast and some superb guidance from PC Doc, reading the forums and general research, I have decided to embark upon my first ever HTPC (or any other PC format) build.

This way the Asrock can carry on doing it's thing allowing us to watch movies, play our music and view our photos, whilst I build the new box and commission it. Then I will give the Asrock a new role elsewhere within our digital life!

The new HTPC (ordered the parts today) will be based around Intel Core i3, Media Center and / or perhaps Total Media Theatre 3.

That's all for the moment except to say that I intend to record my build within the BYOB section of the forums. I am really looking forward to doing it, but must say that I would never have entertained the thought had it not been from all the great info that I have accessed within the HSS podcasts, forums and latterly the BYOB content

So thanks all and here we go ................ soon!

StanHD,

Good luck and we look forward to hearing about the build. You have selected some great components so be sure and post an update when you have finished and be sure post any questions on the forums if we can help in anyway. Would be great to also know what you will be using it for an what kind of content you will playing.