RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cloning HDD to SSD

revengineer

I finally got an SSD for my main PC and need to clone the system HDD to the new SSD. Easier said than done. The Acronis migration software from Intel complains about obsolete drivers. There are no specifics, just a link to the Intel support web site where I got the run around. Waste of time...

So I need to improvise. I do not have Acronis True Image but do have a license for Acronis Backup and Recovery. I am not clear about the option to clone the "NT signature". Is this required for cloning the system drive. I understand that no two drives can have the same signature, so cloning requires the old HDD to be disconnected after the clone. Since this makes things more complicated, I am wondering if this step is required or if I can do without this option.

TIA!

I have done it a bunch of times but had to use True Image. As it becomes an invaluable tool anyway, you might look for deals on it. Recently saw it on sale for around $20 bunch for the 3 users.  You could run a backup and then restore to SSD.  Theoretically that will work but depending on the version you have you will be limited to MBR partitions as some of the versions do not support EFI.

Thank you for everyone's advice. I could not figure out how to specify the partition sizes during the shrink clone in Backup and Recovery. It seems that all partitions on the OS disk would have been shrunk proportionally and I did not want that. The solution may have been to individually restore the partitions, but I did not want to mess with this. I ended up borrowing the True Image Boot CD from a friend to get the job done. The manual process was straight forward and the clone was exactly what I wanted. It's running great, and for a first time SSD user the speed boost was impressive.

• 3 months later...

I just migrated the WHS2011 system drive (C: and D:) that was on a 2TB WD Green to an Intel 335 180GB SSD. The included Intel Data Migration Tool in 'Manual' mode allowed me to change the partition sizes on the target SSD. So now, C: is 100GB while D: is about 67GB.

Partition_zps0c7b4f3d.png

The Intel software initially failed to see the SSD when connected through the SAS (M1015) controller, so during the cloning, I had it plugged into the standard motherboard SATA. After that, I just put it back into the SAS port and the server booted up on SSD.

The server is now noticeably more responsive.

All signs seems to indicate that it is aligned: Ran msinfo32 and go to Components > Storage > Disks. The Partition Starting Offset reads 1,048,576 bytes.

On TRIM, I've scheduled the Intel SSD Toolbox to run the SSD Optimizer/TRIM once a week, as per Intel's recommendation.