RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Windmarble

Install OS on EasyStore without Restore Disks?

Windmarble

I purchased an Acer WHS h340 for very cheap, but it didn't come with the Recovery Disks and had a bad motherboard. Replaced the motherboard with a new h341 motherboard.

Been trying the last the few days to get Windows Server 2012 installed on the box. I have access to Dreamspark, so my copy of WS12 is legit. I downloaded the Windows Home Sever Connector from Microsoft, but that does not find my server.

When I look at my connected clients in my router, I see the WHS has an ip address. However I am unable to PING the host name, or the IP address. In my router, the host name shows up too. However, when I NBTSTAT -A IPADDRESS the host name I get back a 172 address.

So I am at a loss. I am afraid the Windows Home Sever Connector isn't able to see my WHS.

I contacted Acer and they said my box was out of warranty. So they referred me to a 3rd party that handles their boxes now, I asked if I could buy recovery disks and they said no.

Is there a guide on how to install an OS without the recover disks?

Is there a way to download the recover disk ISO or EXE portion?

jmwills

How are you installing the OS without a monitor?  And exactly whihc OS is this?  You say WS12 so are you referring to Windows Server 2012 Essentials?

A "172" address?  Shouldn't that be 192.x.x.x.?

Flush the DNS cache on the client you are using to connect with.

Windmarble

How are you installing the OS without a monitor?

That's my question. How do I without the Acer Recovery Disk? I tried the Windows Home Sever Connector.

And exactly whihc OS is this?  You say WS12 so are you referring to Windows Server 2012 Essentials?

Yes.

A "172" address?  Shouldn't that be 192.x.x.x.?

You would think. Since my network is 192. The Host Name when looked up, translates to a 172 addy.

jmwills

I don't see how you are getting that resolution.  But like I said, flush the  DNS cache.

You will need one of those add on board that adds a VGA port and PS2 ports (not that you need the PS2 ports).  The "Connector" is part of the OS install.

from a command prompt type "nslookup 172.x.x.x"  (no quotes)  where 172 is that address you are seeing.

Windmarble

The Acer EasyStore is a headless system. The OS installation can be done without the need for a VGA monitor hookup if you have the proper disks. Using the Windows Home Server Connector is designed to remotely load the OS. It currently isn't working for me. I was hoping to find someone who has been in my position before and successfully installed the OS. Thanks for your suggestions jmwills.

jmwills

I know what it is...I had one.  2012 Essentials is not designed for that type of installation.

Windmarble

Then what do you suggest? I don't have the recovery disks.

jmwills

There are no "Recovery Disks" for Windows Server 2012 Essentials.  Just the OS.  You could try getting a USB to VGA adapter to connect a monitor, but again, there are no "recovery disks".  You could use one of the many USB flash drive tools to copy the OS and make it bootable  and install the OS from a flash drive.

diehard

Check this post for clues, http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6520-acer-h342-server-restore-failing/?hl=h341

The Windows Home Server connector is only used to contact a server that is already running Windows Home Server 2011, not to copy over the OS. As does the Acer, Windows Home Server v1 Recovery Disk do.

Since your starting off new. You have nothing to loose, YYour better off trying this method. Install Windows Server 2012 Essentials on a new hard drive in a 64bit PC. This way you can input information and see what's going on. Once the OS has successfully been installed and finished, then take the drive and put it into the Acer and boot up. The server OS should then try to install the drivers that are missing for the new hardware. Of course you won't see what's going on. Give it 15 minutes. Then see if the server shows up in your network map. if not then try to reboot the server, something might be missing and needs a reboot.

I would suggest installing the non R2 Essentials as the latest might  not work.

jmwills

Yea, I forgot about that trick.  I believe the exact process is to get to the point where the first reboot occurs and shut down the process, put the drive in the 340/341 and boot it back up.  Wait a few minutes and watch the DHCP entries on your router for the new server to appear.

RDP into the server with the Admin credentials you created during the initial install process,.