RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My Media Center Issues

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone running this app on their windows phone? I can't get it to work outside my network.

I have followed all the documentation on the app to no avial. I am using a Lumia 928 and my MCPC is running W7. Please help!

I have been using it since it was released.  Occasionally I have connection issues, but a reboot of the HTPC helps (windows 8.1 running MC).  I did have to set up port forwarding on the router (port 5832 to the HTPC).  I assume it works in the house?

Exactly flyboyco; sounds like a port forwarding issue. ImTheTypeOfGuy, if you can confirm that the app works while inside your LAN, then I think you have your answer.

• 1 month later...

Not sure what this has to do with a server.

Below is based on what they show on their website.

port%205832.JPG?psid=1

The IP above is the internal IP and it matches the internal IP below.

mymc.JPG?psid=1

Sorry, I just assumed your were trying to use the phone to connect to a server on your LAN. In any case, you are trying to connect to some  computer on your LAN, correct?

If so, then my questions still stand:

1. on the computer you're trying to connect to, is port 5832 open in Windows Firewall?
  2. on the computer you're trying to connect to, have you tried disabling Windows Firewall  temporarily, to see if it makes a difference?

I am trying to connect to my HTPC using Ceton's My Media Center App.

I turned the firewall off and still no luck.

Something that is wierd, because it is new, is the message indicating the port isn't properly forwarded. So I traced the cable from my modem and discovered it goes to a router for my wireless security system from comcast and from that router it goes to my router. I wonder if that is the problem.

If there is 2 layers of NAT you would need to fwd it through both.. It would be easier to setup just one layer.. but it can be done.

Just fwd the ports from the outside router to the 2nd router, and then from the 2nd router to the htpc.