RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone Who Has Changed the Heat Sink on a Gen8 MicroServer

Joe_Miner

• 2 weeks later...

I've confirmed with a square that it is very slightly bowed.  I took it off and confirmed that the contact between the heatsink and CPU is the top and bottom area shown in the picture from the first time with the heatsink not making contact in the middle of the CPU.

With the deformation being so slight I'm thinking this might be a good candidate for lapping --

The only issue I see is removing then re-attaching the mounting screws -- the four screws each have a "retainer" that is on the surface/face of the Heatsink --can I remove the mounting screw retainers without destroying them? -- I haven't tired that before so I thought I'd ask before blindly going forward. OR in the alternate are these retainers something I can pick up at a hardware store so it would be ok to break the 4 that are on there? 

Do you use AC MX-3 for all your builds?  How do you like it?  I've been a AS5 fanboy for some time so I haven't looked at other possibly better thermal pastes.

Temps I'm seeing: after 30+mins of Prime95 the iLO shows the CPU at 59C and the fan at 18% but at the same time with OpenHardWareMonitor I'm seeing temps of 85C

Here's how I confirmed that the CPU Heat Sink was bowed...............

Nice work JM. Are you planning to post a video of how you lapped the heat sink. I think people would be even more interested in that.

Great "segue" Ikon!

Here's the post that includes the complete teardown, lapping, and reassembly (with videos):

HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer: Lapping the CPU Heat Sink

Edited by Joe_Miner
Spelling Correction -- thanks for the catch Ikon!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my series of temp tests after 200+ hrs burn in.  With the 45W TDP CPU I'm more comfortable with the "Increased Cooling" set in BIOS.  I haven't upgraded to the 1.32 BIOS yet.

Great "segue" Ikon!

Here's the post that includes the complete teardown, lapping, and reassembly (with videos):

HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer: Lapping the CPU Heat Sink

Al_Borges a member of our forums who I had the good fortune to meet at the #BestEverMeetup #2013MeetUp shared with me some of his knowledge as a Metallurgist in the Aluminum Industry about lapping AL – which he does regularly to view AL samples metallographically.

Your basic technique was fine -  however,  you would have had much better and faster results if you had started with 80 or 120 grit -  followed up with 220 then lastly  400.   Lubricating it with water will also help

The aluminum oxide you are sanding off is as hard as the grit.  Sanding with too fine a grit will let the particles ball up between the work piece and the tool and you won’t get any metal removal. The coarser grits will cut into the surface.

Many Thanks to Al_Borges and I hope this information will help others in the future should they find the need to lap their Heat Sink to get a flat surface on it.

So bottom line, If I was to do it over again, I would start with the 80 or 120 grit wet/dry sandpaper and after getting the heat sink face flat I would move up to the 220 then the 400 then I could have stopped.