RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Anyone Who Has Changed the Heat Sink on a Gen8 MicroServer

Joe_Miner

Yikes!!!

Mine was fairly uniform.  It looks like either your heatsink is uneven (or warped) or the CPU heatspreader is slightly convex.

I used Thermalright ChillFactor 3 as replacement paste (had some left over from the Thermalright TRUE Black tower heatsink in my desktop), it's pretty good stuff.

The heatsink finish you see is standard.  HP and others don't take time to do much to smooth them out.  You could lap it if you don't care about the warranty; I think using quality paste makes up for a lot of that issue, provided you don't overdo it.

Hi guys, I am getting my hands on a 1260L. Would you use the passive heatsink for that or replace it. Personally I would prefer adding a fan of some sort, but keeping the existing, to avoid the dread of finding on that fits.

B.

I've added fans to fanless heat sinks in the past. It's not usually difficult. I usually just use some screws that can get some bite between the fins of the heat sink. The trick with the MicroServer will be finding a fan that can squeeze into the limited space available. I'm actually wondering if it would be simpler and easier to use some really strong double-sided adhesive (3M VHB or equivalent) to attach a fan vertically to the mobo or side of the heat sink, so as not to take up too much vertical space.

Hi guys, I am getting my hands on a 1260L. Would you use the passive heatsink for that or replace it. Personally I would prefer adding a fan of some sort, but keeping the existing, to avoid the dread of finding on that fits.

B.

Overcoat installed an Akasa K25 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6170-active-cpu-cooling-for-the-gen8/#entry68659 which as of last week I found 3 vendors on eBay at $30 or less.  He's done some performance testing which is pretty interesting, IMHO.

I've just finished Lapping mine and will be testing it's performance over the next few days (Arctic Silver 5 has a 200 hr break in period) -- it took me 6 sheets of 400 grit sandpaper just to flatten the face out!  So far it has been encouraging but my E3-1265LV2 has a TDP of 45W so I'm hopeful the lapping will increase the performance of my 35W rated passive heat sink to keep my Xeon cool and happy.

Other things you can do that will help is go into BIOS and up your fan speed a notch -- it's a little louder but not that much in my estimate -- and in BIOS set the CPU performance on "Balance" I think it's called (writing off the top of my head here) and that lets the Gen8 throttle back the speed of the cores if nothing is going on -- kind of cool to watch in "Open Hardware Monitor".  [You can also set that up in IP when you load you OS and let IP change the BIOS for you]

I'll post some stats later as I near the end of my break in period.

I've added fans to fanless heat sinks in the past. It's not usually difficult. I usually just use some screws that can get some bite between the fins of the heat sink. The trick with the MicroServer will be finding a fan that can squeeze into the limited space available. I'm actually wondering if it would be simpler and easier to use some really strong double-sided adhesive (3M VHB or equivalent) to attach a fan vertically to the mobo or side of the heat sink, so as not to take up too much vertical space.

Interesting idea ikon -- A side mount might be possible.

Yikes!!!

Mine was fairly uniform.  It looks like either your heatsink is uneven (or warped) or the CPU heatspreader is slightly convex.

I used Thermalright ChillFactor 3 as replacement paste (had some left over from the Thermalright TRUE Black tower heatsink in my desktop), it's pretty good stuff.

The heatsink finish you see is standard.  HP and others don't take time to do much to smooth them out.  You could lap it if you don't care about the warranty; I think using quality paste makes up for a lot of that issue, provided you don't overdo it.

HP has it labeled on the side as a 35W heat sink but I know there has to be an "engineering margin of error" in the design and the heatsink finish I saw on the face was within that margin of error.  I went ahead and lapped it and I figure/hope by doing that I've raised it rated value enough to keep my Xeon happy.

BTW, iLO is FANTASTIC.  I'm swiftly becoming an iLO FanBoy!!  With my desktop I can remote into my MicroServer with iLO and display my iLO info on one monitor and via iLO open up a remote console and put that on another monitor -- really cool to be able to play with things on two side by side screens!!

Overcoat installed an Akasa K25 http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6170-active-cpu-cooling-for-the-gen8/#entry68659 which as of last week I found 3 vendors on eBay at $30 or less.  He's done some performance testing which is pretty interesting, IMHO.

I've just finished Lapping mine and will be testing it's performance over the next few days (Arctic Silver 5 has a 200 hr break in period) -- it took me 6 sheets of 400 grit sandpaper just to flatten the face out!  So far it has been encouraging but my E3-1265LV2 has a TDP of 45W so I'm hopeful the lapping will increase the performance of my 35W rated passive heat sink to keep my Xeon cool and happy.

Other things you can do that will help is go into BIOS and up your fan speed a notch -- it's a little louder but not that much in my estimate -- and in BIOS set the CPU performance on "Balance" I think it's called (writing off the top of my head here) and that lets the Gen8 throttle back the speed of the cores if nothing is going on -- kind of cool to watch in "Open Hardware Monitor".  [You can also set that up in IP when you load you OS and let IP change the BIOS for you]

I'll post some stats later as I near the end of my break in period.

Interesting idea ikon -- A side mount might be possible.

Side mount is a good route. I have used two fans on either end secured with bolts to sandwich the heat sink between them. 

Side mount is a good route. I have used two fans on either end secured with bolts to sandwich the heat sink between them. 

Now you have me thinking -- you could probably use cable ties -- just pull the system board tray out and "tie" those puppies on!  Maybe just tap the power from the SGDM fan mount.

Edited by Joe_Miner

Arranging the fans in a push-pull configuration would really up the cooling factor.

It's nice to see people embracing the out-of-the-box approach :)

Shucks, I was hoping to see photos of that nice, shiny lap job :D

-snip-

Shucks, I was hoping to see photos of that nice, shiny lap job :D

Here's one I put on Twitter last nite -- you can see the parts on the System Board reflected on the face;

gallery_1229_67_38805.jpg

• Like 2