RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
easypc

Seagate Hard Drive

easypc

Well I just got a call from the wife telling me she just bought a few new toys for me. Apparently she went to Wal-Mart and saw seagates 1 tb hard drives mark down to 30 dollars each so she got all 3 that where available(the only one with the $30 dollar tag). My question is if they are reliable to put in the server machine? She did mention they have a 5 year warranty. I don

manphil

Hmmmm .....these might be the ones with some firmware issues...

see...http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1050374/seagate-barracudas-7200-11-failing

there is a patch available ..I believe.

Dave

I thought all of those would have been cleared out by now. Yes, certainly check the revision of the drive. It was the 7200.11 series and you can look up the serial number to see if it has the old firmware. Otherwise, great find!
Another thing, how cool is it that your wife bought you hard drives!!! That would never happen in my house! Underwear maybe, hard drives, not.

pcdoc

I believe those have all been pulled off as that problem was almost a year ago.

cskenney

Walmart probably decided to quit selling that particular drive so they marked them down to get them off the shelf.

mrossco

Prolly the 7200.12s at this point, great find! I second that it is way cool that your wife bought you drives and knew to clear out the shelf. Even if they turn out to not work out, kudos to her! My wife would never even be caught in that part of the store.

ImTheTypeOfGuy

My wife wouldn't know what a hard drive is. Okay, she knows what they are but wouldn't know what to look for as she has probably never seen one. This, is even though she is a high level IT manager. To her credit, she has always been on the management side and never technical.

Dave

Do we need to send out some shoppers to find and verify this deal? It would be cool if we could find some more!

pcdoc

Being a WD fan boy and having been burned many times with Seagate, use that duplication....

jmwills

Not available online. Must have been a local thing.