RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSD Swap

joem

How will this work for me?  I would consider cloning my 250 gig mechanical drive to a 120 gig SSD and using that on my HP Microserver.  I noticed that there is 208 gigs of free space on the installed 250 gig mechanical drive.  What do you think? I think it would be a winner.  I know about the 250 Gig minimum on initial install of the OS.

@joem: Are you asking about Server 2012 Essentials?  The Min OS Drive size For S2012E is 90G.  160G is for WHS2011.

I've run S2012E a lot on 128G SSD's -- it's a LOT better than on the HP 250G Stock Drive -- If it's in production a lot I'd move it to SSD -- if it's for just messing around you could leave it on the HP 250G.  IMHO -- I've use Acronis to clone drives to SSD's.

Now you could go to a 250G VR which would be nice too and you could just restore from a backup..............

I use Windows Server Backup to clone the system drive :)

Just shrink the C:\ drive to somethign that will fit, run a backup, and then run a recovery from the install disk. ;)

Thanks.  I'll shrink the drive in disk management and then remove it.  Now I will install the drive in another machine with the SSD drive and then use Disk Copy with the Paragon Backup and Recovery software I have.  Reason being..... I know it works for doing this procedure.  Rather than clone I use its Disk Copy utility because the size of the drive is not an issue.  Just how much data is on it.

I guess I will have to figure out some way to insert that SSD into the drive bay of the Microserver.

Edited by joem