RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for Some Advice on Server Build

Murph1083

Hey Everyone,

I have been spending a good amount of time reading previous threads on the forum and I have learned so much. I do however have some questions I cannot seem to get answers to and would really appreciate some advice on.

I am planning to make my first attempt at putting together a home server that I want to perform multiple functions. The hardware I really have figured out for the most part. There are a couple aspects I am trying to figure out.

Storage:

I want the storage aspect to be something that performs integrity checks against the data and is capable of fixing silent errors. Not sure why no one views this as a larger issue, but I do. This pretty much leaves me with the ReFS file system and ZFS (FreeNAS). I would like to stick with Windows as much as possible. If I want ReFS, that makes Windows Server 2012 a requirement.

I also need to be able to share files with Windows 7, Mac OS X, and Linux machines. I would also like to avoid joining a domain, which appears it is possible to do. Is this going to cause an issue at all with Linux and Mac though?

Other Tasks:

I would like to also have the server perform the functions of media streaming (Plex), bit torrent, SABnzdb, sickbeard, etc. I would also like to have CrashPlan available to make backups offsite. I would also like the server to act as a backup source of other PCs in my house. Lastly, it would also be nice to have a virus scanner capable to making sure the files stored on the server are safe/secure.

Putting it Together:

Ideally, it would seem to me that these tasks should be run in VMs in order to isolate them from the storage server aspect. This is someplace where I am stuck on, so any insight is appreciated. I think that Server 2012 R2 Standard would be a bit overkill for me. So other options I am considering is running Server 2012 R2 with various VMware VMs or to use ESXi. Don’t have much experience with.

Any thoughts/suggestions of how to best accomplish what I want to do?

One way to get some checking of the drives is to use something like Stablebit Scanner. I'm not sure this accomplishes everything you're looking for (your post reads like you're looking for integrity checks of the actual files, not the HDDs).

I thought about stablebit scanner. Yes, that solves one part of what I am looking for (bad sectors), but ideally I would like the ability to scan the files.

You mean to do integrity or CRC/hash checks on each and every single file?

If so, and you're willing to use a Windows Server Solutions based product (WHS2011, SBS2011E, WSS2008R2E, Server 2012 Essentials, Server 2012 Essentails/Standard with Essentials Experience), then there is an adding called...... Integrity Checker that may work for what you want.

Also, StableBit Scanner does a surface scan, AND a chkdsk pass. 

As for virtualization, HyperV Server 2012 R2. At least that's my preference. That or R2 Standard with one of the two included VM licenses as Essentials (contact somebody that deals with reselling Windows Server for details on that one though)

I think what I am learning towards based on what I am reading is Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 with VMWare Workstation. I would like to avoid a headless install. Does this seem like a viable option?

Granted the reason for this (VMware Workstation) is I want to separate the download services such as Bittorrent from the file server aspect.

I think what I am learning towards based on what I am reading is Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2 with VMWare Workstation. I would like to avoid a headless install. Does this seem like a viable option?

A virtual machine is not a headless install in the true meaning.  You can see everything happening.

You will see it all happening.  A second window pops up and you control the install like any other RDP connection.