RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex Pass

PCEddie

I am starting to use Plex more as a central location for my movies, pictures, and music. I keep running across Plex Pass. Is anyone subscribed to Plex Pass? If so, what is the benefits? What are your thoughts of Plex Pass? Is it worth the $75 lifetime membership? 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• awraynor

• pcdoc

• timekills

• Jason

I have been using Plex for almost a year and have been a plex pass holder for about 6 months.  The main thing I get from it is early beta's.  I was able to get early version such as the one they released a few months ago that enabled HDMI pass-through long before it hits the release cycle.  Add to that the support factor for these to keep devolving the best media solution available today, and for me it is worthwhile.  As for anything beyond that depends on what you are trying to do.  The multiuser support and android apps are a bonus for me but I do not use their cloud sync yet.

Anxious for them to resolve the Plex Server issue where WSE12R1 Anywhere Access conflicts with PS. PS hangs on refresh. Doesn't occur on R2.

Been a Plex Pass subscriber for about a year. Love that I can sync TV shows to cloud storage and watch them wherever I am without having to rely on my limited upstream bandwidth from my house. I can still watch from my home server if needed too.

Also regarding running the server on 2012 Essentials, I chose originally to run it on my ReadyNAS, which is a (Debian) Linux based OS. It has a Core2Duo speed CPU so it's fine for transcoding.

Recently I have moved the Plex server duties to a Windows 7 VM running on the same Hyper-V host that my 2012 Essentials (V1) is hosted on. Primarily because I haven't yet set the ReadyNAS back up after returning from Iraq, but it works so well I'll likely stay that route.

• 2 weeks later...

Also regarding running the server on 2012 Essentials, I chose originally to run it on my ReadyNAS, which is a (Debian) Linux based OS. It has a Core2Duo speed CPU so it's fine for transcoding.

Recently I have moved the Plex server duties to a Windows 7 VM running on the same Hyper-V host that my 2012 Essentials (V1) is hosted on. Primarily because I haven't yet set the ReadyNAS back up after returning from Iraq, but it works so well I'll likely stay that route.

timekills, curious to hear your outcome.  I've just recently virtualized Plex Media Server (Windows) under a VMWare VM (Win 7 x64 VM, 4 virtual cores, 4 GB RAM) on a IB Core i5 3570K w/ 16 GB RAM and the VM works great when serving HD video to my HTPC over a wired gigabit LAN.  However the audio and video are both choppy when playing to my new iPad over local WI-FI.  It seems that transcoding within the VM becomes a potential bottleneck?  These are full size BD rips (BDMV folders).  The problem persists even if I set the local WI-FI video quality at the lowest setting.

Update - just discovered that PMS running in VMWare VM works well. So far proven to be no reason to reinstall my WSE12 box w R2. Will in future once R2 becomes more refined. That one movie that is choppy seems to be a poor encode. All others stream well.

Update - just discovered that PMS running in VMWare VM works well. So far proven to be no reason to reinstall my WSE12 box w R2. Will in future once R2 becomes more refined. That one movie that is choppy seems to be a poor encode. All others stream well.

Good deal. I also had a VM running on ESXi on a (2nd gen) core i7 box before I migrated the PMS onto my ReadyNAS. Of the three systems I've run the PMS on, the ReadyNAS has the slowest CPU (although a dual core 2.6 GHz CPU - the E5300 in this case - is not very slow) and it had zero problems transcoding 1080p video to Android phone and tablet and my iPad. 

P.S. It isn't a Core2Duo, t is a Pentium dual core. IIRC the difference is the Pentium dual cores do not have the SSE4 instructions enabled. I also notice it has only 2MB of cache, but again, it works splendidly for transcoding.

I found several issues with native BD on the recent releases.  The initial beta worked fine, then they released a public version which was really bad, then the latest is much better but still has a couple of issues with certain movies.  I sure the next release will address the final codex issues.

Thanks pcdoc. This helps a lot. If anything I've joined Plex Pass for early access to newer versions. At first, I thought it was my performance of my VM but it only occurs with a select few movies.