RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
C4rl

New N54L Boot Problems

C4rl

Hi new member, sorry to dive in with a problem :( 

I bought a new N54L on Friday and I'm having problems with it booting up, well I think I am?

A bit of background, upon receiving the server and before doing anything else I upgraded the RAM to 8GB and also added one of HP's own optical drives.

Today I've come to start it up and its failing to boot properly, it goes through the initial boot detecting the new 8192mb of memory etc but then I get the message "Boot failed, continue to look for Boot Media, wait for input"

I've checked that the hard drive is the first in the boot followed by the DVD drive

I've swapped hard drives for a spare, it does the same.

I put the Windows Home Server Disc in the drive and it start with boot manager asking if I want to do a full system restore in 32 or 64 bit, not the usual new install flash screen.

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

Thanks in advance

Carl :) 

jmwills

Put the original RAM back in and try it.

C4rl

Thanks for the input, I've put the original memory back in and disconnected the DVD drive and exactly the same happens :( 

LoneWolf

Does the Windows Home Server disc allow you to boot to command prompt, so you can do a CHKDSK /F on the hard disk(s) you have installed?

I would be checking to see if the boot hard drive is okay, or if there's an issue with it.

cskenney

There are some basic questions running through my head.

1. You have a HDD you installed an OS on that has worked for some period of time, right?

2. Which bay or MB socket are you using?  Could it be a bad SATA cable or the cable for the cage isn't seated correctly?

3. Have you removed all other hard drives that may be installed?

4. Do you have an external USB HD dock that you can use to check out the HD using another PC?

5. You mentioned trying a spare HD.  You have a spare that has a bootable image installed on it already?

C4rl

Does the Windows Home Server disc allow you to boot to command prompt, so you can do a CHKDSK /F on the hard disk(s) you have installed?

I would be checking to see if the boot hard drive is okay, or if there's an issue with it.

I have an external SATA dock, I've whipped out the disk put it in the dock connected to my Win 7 PC and its shows up as an Unknown 232.89GB disk, Not Initialized and unallocated :unsure: 

C4rl

There are some basic questions running through my head.

1. You have a HDD you installed an OS on that has worked for some period of time, right?

2. Which bay or MB socket are you using?  Could it be a bad SATA cable or the cable for the cage isn't seated correctly?

3. Have you removed all other hard drives that may be installed?

4. Do you have an external USB HD dock that you can use to check out the HD using another PC?

5. You mentioned trying a spare HD.  You have a spare that has a bootable image installed on it already?

Hi, It's a brand new fresh out of the box N54L. The drive is where it was when I unboxed it in the far left caddy, There are no other drives in the caddy's just the 250GB disc it came with.

I have an external SATA dock, I've whipped out the disk put it in the dock connected to my Win 7 PC and its shows up as an Unknown 232.89GB disk, Not Initialized and unallocated.

Edited by C4rl

cskenney

You DID install an OS on the drive, right?  The drive that comes with the the N54L is blank.

C4rl

You DID install an OS on the drive, right?  The drive that comes with the the N54L is blank.

I put the Windows Home Server Disc in the drive and it starts with boot manager asking if I want to do a full system restore in 32 or 64 bit, not the usual new install flash screen that all the guides show.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, this is a first for me :unsure: but wouldn't the disk that comes with the server be bootable? :unsure: 

jmwills

There is no OS that comes with the server, at least not form HP.  Wipe the drive and do a clean install.