RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS2011 installation on SDD in Gen8 - problem

Angelos

Hi,

I'm a newbie, so have mercy...

Got a brand new Microserver Gen8 1610 and try to install WHS2011 on Samsung SSD 120GB Drive. Don't need Smart Array B120i Controller, I'm going to use Drive pool and probably flexraid. This is for Home use only - data storage.

I've plugged SSD to blue SATA ODD controler on the mainboard, turned off in BIOS Smart Array B120i Controller, and changed the SATA Controller to legacy mode to change the boot priority for SSD drive (the same as Savage-74 did in http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6728-gen-8-boot-off-ssd). SSD is the only drive, 2x WD Red drive will be added later. DVD drive with the WHS2011 installation disc connected to USB.

Than installed the WHS2011 using the USB cfg trick. Now the problem - after the first restart, the system couldn't load (start) again to finish the installation. It shows blue screen for a moment, and the Microserver restarts. When choose starting WHS2011 in Safe Mode with Command Prompt - the system loads a lot of drivers, and stops when loading "disk.sys". Than restarts the system.

I've done that two times with the same effect. Looking for help.

Update:

Switched ssd drive for 4TB. Results are the same, first reboot ends with blue screen. Paused on the blue screen, and it seems to be related to "lsi_sas2.sys".

In another post, user t1tan7 (http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5980-has-anyone-loaded-run-whs-2011-on-a-gen8/?p=67490) mentioned he had to install B120i drivers during the WHS2011 installation process. In my case, WHS2011 didn't asked for any drivers or even let me install drivers, just installed the system.

Remember also, that running the B120i in AHCI mode will result in a noisy fan - just create a single-drive RAID0 array, it will be treated the same.

You'll need the B120i drivers for it though.

• 1 month later...

I had this exact same problem - very short blue screen on reboot.  Took awhile to get it working on an SSD connected to the OOD SATA connection.  To get it working, I had to download a different version of the B120i drive.  I had a download of what I thought was the correct B120i driver for my new Gen8.  It would recognize the drive, but wouldn't reboot successfully.  When I used this other driver as a last resort, it works, and have used it successfully a few times.  I did download a trial version of 2012 just to see if my new Gen8 was working properly.  Was, so I tried 2011 again - no go.  That's when I looked at a different B120i.  Problem is, I can't remember which one I downloaded - probably for the 2008 version (I was grasping at straws at that point).  But I'm finally up and running - almost bought 2012... glad I didn't have to shell out more money for this!  I'm running a Samsung 840 Pro off the OOD port with 4 4TB WD Green Drives.  So far so good. 

If it's WHS2011 you're trying to install, I would expect the WS2008(r2) driver to be the one that works, since WHS2011 is built on WS2008r2.

Thanks!  Yea, I was trying to backtrack to get my "map" straight and I stumbled upon the WS2008 R2 B120i driver - this is the one that worked.  The first one (B120i driver) I had, I could see my drives and install WHS2011, but upon reboot, it gave me the blue screen flash of death

Edited by fegarciaii