RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 92, HP MediaSmart Server EX Series PS/2 connector

diehard

On the podcast, I mentioned that I built a few PCB using the ExpressPCB software. I wanted a nice clean look with nothing hanging off the case or lose a drive tray if I purchased the more expensive board from the Marketplace on MediaSmartServer.net, that unit is really nice but overpriced for me, and you will end up with your cables hanging out the front of the case with the door open, not pretty at all.

DSCN1909.jpg

I used the round sanding bit on the dremel to shave the plastic off the rear plastic panel and a bit off the side panel to allow the PS2 cables to reach the connectors.

DSCN1893.jpg

DSCN1896.jpg
I had to cut out the corner of the case with a dremel. I put a strip of double-sided foam tape to secure the PCB. This had to be done because the clearance between the power supply and the case wall. But them the plactic side panel will of course cover this up.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8181&p=66959#p66959

Impressive! Much better than the good ol' breadboard and the colorful assortment of 1/2" length wires!

Wait - were is the rest of the explanation? Or did I miss something? How did you route the monitor cable? How is is held in position on the other corner of the case? Did you end up making your own cables verses finding a straight thru cable?

Sorry for any confusion.

The 1st set of boards I made using a combo board design, allowed the use of a straight thru cable. But I could not find and ready made straight through 26 pin 2mm cable. Those boards still exist. I have 2 boards built with the combo VGA PS/2 connector,but need to make the cables. Then I have another 8 blank boards.

The 2nd batch of boards look like this,
DSCN1954.jpg
Here I have 3 PS/2 connectors. 3 VGA connectors and 2 combo boards. I can also use the combo boards and poulate the with either the combo VGA/PS/2 connector or just the VGA or just the PS/2 connectors.

So that's what I did with the 2 PS/2 connectors on the left side of the case using 1 combo board and used double-sided foam tape to hold it in place.
DSCN1896.jpg

On the right side, I also used a combo board with just a VGA connector mounted. I shaved off the extra board material to be flush with the VGA connector. I mage DOES NOT SHOW the material removal.
DSCN1942.jpg
DSCN1941.jpg

Here is a side view I made to cut into the case;
DSCN1948.jpg
DSCN1951.jpg
So 8 wires run to the left side of the case to the PS/2 connectors and the rest run to the VGA connector. The VGA connector is held in place with a couple of small plastic posts I found and used the mounting holes and secured it to the side of the case.

John,

That is some serious modding. Looking at the pictures it looks like you had to do some serious taking apart to make this happen. Very nice job. Reminds me of my case modding days. Out of curiosity, why not switch to your own box build? That would make it easier all around wouldn't it?

Yep, pcdoc. easier for sure.

However I do enjoy trying to cram in as much as I can into these small boxes. I like to keep my PC area minimal, lots of software, but minimal hardware that does the job. I also have a Shuttle SG33G5M Deluxe running a Quad-Core, so that's another small box. As long as I don't have to make a big trade off between power and size. That's why I have the shuttle and EX490, I can still install most standard hardware. I also took the time to replace the stock CPU in the 490 with a E5400. It makes a big difference when using HP's Video Conversion. Before, the system was unusable and now I can't tell Video Conversion is running in the background.