RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
murdoc158

RAID 5 array now show RAW after expansion

murdoc158

Hello all,

I've got a WHS 2011 with a RocketRaid 2680 controller.  I had 3 2TB hard disks in RAID 5 and just installed a 4th 2TB drive.  I followed the standard procedure to add a device to the array and rebuild the array showing 16 hours to complete.  Sometime during the rebuild, the localhost page for the RAID controller could no longer be found.  I double-checked that my data was still intact and closed and reopened the browser.  When the browser reopened, the array rebuild process had started from the beginning, showing 16 hours to complete.  The array just finished, all SMART checks have passed.  I successfully extended the volume of that drive to 6TB, however WHS is showing the drive as RAW format.  I'm not seeing any errors in the RocketRaid software.  I rebooted the server, did a disk rescan, and now I'm seeing 2 partitions on that drive.  I now have a 4TB RAW partition and 2TB of unallocated space.  I'm lost at what to do at this point.  I do have almost 4TB of data backed up with Crashplan, but I'd like to avoid getting a drive shipped to me if at all possible.  

Drashna Jaelre

Have you at least tried data recovery? I'm not sure it will work, but it's always worth a shot.

Aside from that.... crashplan was your only backup of this data? If so... I'd recommend 3day shipping, as otherwise it will take till well after christmas to arrive...

murdoc158

I'm seeing all sorts of errors in the web manager.  The array finally rebuilt itself, but windows is showing 2 partitions.  Please advise!

rbfi.jpg

jmwills

What are the sizes of the partitions?

murdoc158

One partition is 2TB, the other is 4TB.  Both are being shown as unallocated.  See attachment.  If I right click on on Disk 1 I have the option to convert to GPT Disk.  If I right click on the 2TB partition, I can create a new simple volume.  Right clicking on the 4TB partition has no options. I tried the new simple volume route before, and that caused the RAID internal beeper to start going off, and I ended up rebuilding the array again.  The WebUI is not showing any bad sectors or SMART errors.

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Edited by murdoc158

murdoc158

Looks like converting to a GPT disk was the answer.  I've now got a single 6TB partition.  Any idea about the errors the WebUI is reporting?

jmwills

You can Google the issue, but I'd first try shutting everything down, reseating the card and cables.  Ar eyou up to date on the firwmare?

pcdoc

You are mixing EARS, EZRX, and EARX drives on the array which can be problematic.  The web UI is reporting drives are dropping.  Prepare on having further issues going forward.  My suggestion is you standardize on 1 drive type and start switching to that.  This problem will get worse as time goes on and the drives get older.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

And you should probably pick up some spares for when the drives to fail....

ikon

And I would also suggest NAS rated drives. They're only marginally more expensive but bring so much peace of mind.