RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SkipDomainJoin

Poppapete

For anyone who uses this I recommend you also deploy SkipAutoDNSServerDetection which although not essential will save you problems if the server is down or a laptop is off the LAN. Paul Braren has saved us yet again and I suspect because of him this registry item is NOW listed in both 2012 essentials and R2.

The only reason I moved from WHS2011 to 2012E was I wanted bare metal restore for a GPT partitioned drive and I don't think it would do that at the time.

In retrospect it is probably easier to use Acronis if backup is all you want from the server!!!!!!!

In retrospect it is probably easier to use Acronis if backup is all you want from the server!!!

I respectfully disagree. IMHO, WHS2011 backup is simply better than Acronis (or virtually any other backup solution) for home users. I've used both, and WHS2011 is simply easier, more reliable, and more automatic than Acronis. And, for $50 for 10 clients, it's by far the cheapest.

• Like 1

I have to agree that it is more automatic and cheaper than Acronis. I use both and feel safe in bed at night knowing I have 2 images of my system when I wake up in the morning.

Has anyone figured out a way in WSE12R2 to install the connector on a client that already belongs to another domain? This works with R1 using the common registry key. The same one doesn't appear to work on R2 unless the client has no other domain membership.