RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

accessing windows server from laptop

ultra99

I've setup windows server 2012 on my server. Now do I always have to attach a monitor to configure it or can I configure and access the server from my laptop? How do I do that?

When things are good, you can use the Remote Desktop Connection to quickly access the server.

However, with the rare boot problem a connected monitor is awfully handy. 

When things are good, you can use the Remote Desktop Connection to quickly access the server.

However, with the rare boot problem a connected monitor is awfully handy. 

Thanks, but here, I have to go through New Network on my laptop or there are steps to do on the server first?

thanks again. But I'm problems with setting up the IP. I manually entered my laptop's (network) IP address. However, I stopped getting internet access on the server. Something is wrong here.

From a command prompt in Windows 8.1, you can type in "mstsc" (without the quotes) to open Remote Desktop, or alternately, you can use the search command for "Remote Desktop" (again, no quotes).

From there, you input the IP address of the server, not the laptop.  If you have not already done so, I recommend making sure the server has a static IP address at this time, rather than one provided by your router.

thanks again. But I'm problems with setting up the IP. I manually entered my laptop's (network) IP address. However, I stopped getting internet access on the server. Something is wrong here.

Like the other guys said. You must enable RDP on the server and then input the server name or IP on the RDC app on your laptop. I've had occasion where the IP address of the server worked better than the name so I would try both if you have problems. 

My notebook is 8.1 and from the Start Screen if I type Remote it is the first option. When the app starts you may have to click on the bottom left to show options. From there input your server name/IP address. It will ask you for your server credentials.

I may be wrong, but I think the user name you use has to have remote access privileges for it to work. If a standard user with remote privileges doesn't work I will test it with the administrator account, which I know is frowned upon. But it helps me see if there are other problems, or is it just the variables for the account.