RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

One Heck Of A PC Problem

awraynor

So today started with an alert that there were bad sectors on the client backup drive of my WHS 2011 box.

I ran the recovery as instructed and it informed that some backups had been lost. Apparently this loss

included making all heretofore backups incomplete. No problem, I had a spare 3TB Red and replaced the

faulty 2TB Green. I then set all PC's to perform a backup.

Later I rebooted my main desktop PC and turned around to begin cleaning my office where the kids had

destroyed it as usual. From a few feet away I heard my 5 year old say "your computer has restarted" and 

I hear him clicking on the keyboard. 

Now the fun begins:

1. No complete backup due to the first problem.

2. All my data is contained in a storage pool on 3 drives separate from the OS disc.

3. It is also backed up to an external drive sitting on my desktop, most to Bitcasa

and some to a newly started backup to CrashPlan so I should be good as far as data goes.

4. I was able to get it to run more than a few seconds, once, and it referred to a problem

with overclocking settings which I never do.

5. Since then it will run about 20 seconds or less.

6. I have stripped it down to the MB and processor with no change. 

7. Once in a while it will run a little bit longer, but as soon as I switch the input

to my monitor it cuts off immediately.

8. I have tried a different monitor and video card, no change. My board, GB P55 doesn't have

onboard video regrettably.

9. I have tried with drives, without drives. 1,2 and 4 sticks of RAM.

10. Reset CMOS. Run with and without battery, but still no luck.

11. I have tried both connectors on both video cards and can never get video out so I don't 

know how far into the post I get. 

It feels like a lost cause, any ideas?

I would have to take it out of the hackintosh I'm typing this on, but I'll give it a try.

Powers on, but doesn't last more than 10-30 seconds.

Luckily the power supply in both desktops are exactly the same.

Switched the out, got to the windows login screen and gone!

When I switched that supply works perfectly in the other PC.

I'm beginning to think it may be a cooling problem?

The desktop has a Corsair H50 and to the best of my knowledge

it hasn't been leaking. However it is noisier than before. I cleaned

the radiator, it was bit dusty, but the dust didn't change so much over

night that that would likely be the cause.

Is it possible to refill them or should I consider just buying a monster

fan and be done with it?

I not had great luck with Corsair water coolers.  It does sound like a heat issue as the actual heat sinking of the H series devices is non existent without a high volume of coolant/water going through the system.  Stop the flow and you are lucky to last 10 secs without a shut down.  Fortunately for you, Intel has thermal protection.

Take a look in BIOS for the temps?

It won't keep running long enough to check the BIOS for temps.

I not had great luck with Corsair water coolers.  It does sound like a heat issue as the actual heat sinking of the H series devices is non existent without a high volume of coolant/water going through the system.  Stop the flow and you are lucky to last 10 secs without a shut down.  Fortunately for you, Intel has thermal protection.

I ordered a traditional fan cooler which should be here Tuesday and see if that fixes it. Going to quit trying before I do

take out the processor. We are moving in the next few months so saving my money for that. When we get resettled

going to look into building a new desktop, so until then need to keep this one running.