RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New HP Microserver Gen8 Optimal Setup for newbie

constantoriginality

New to the forum and looking for some guidance to configure/build an optimal Microserver Gen8 box.

1) Torn between whether to go with the G2020T or G1610T. I plan to primarily use the box to share files and stream media throughout my home using Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials. I don't plan on using Exchange or SQL. For the most part I just expect the box to be sitting there waiting for me to need to access files via the network or web or stream movies occasionally. Newegg currently has these going for $389.99 and $329.99 respectively, after mail in rebate so I'm questioning if I should just go for the G2020T for the extra $60.

2) While I probably don't necessarily need it, I want to load up on memory and from some of the other postings here I've opted to go with the 2 Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G memory - any concerns/warnings about this?

3) I have an existing Intel 160GB SSD 320 series drive that I would like to use for the OS. I would like to mount this in the ODD bay to keep the other drive bays free for data storage. What do I need to purchase in order to make this work? Any extra cables / trays?

4) For data storage I'm really struggling. I have two objectives here - maximum capacity with some redundancy so I was thinking of using loading up with 4 x 4TB WD drives and doing a RAID. I can't decide, however, whether to go with the WD Green drives or the WD Red drives that they claim are better suited for NAS. Again, I think this server will sit idle much of the time so I do want to be energy conscious wherever possible. Anyone have any pro's/con's or other suggestions on the drives?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and comments. In the interest of full disclosure and as required by my company, I am obligated to inform you that I am an employee of Hewlett-Packard and any posts that I make purely express my own opinions and not those of Hewlett-Packard. 

Thanks again.

I would suggest reading through some of the posts via the links in http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/ for ideas on how other's have built out their machines.

You can compare the performance of the G2020T and the G1610T in Table1 in HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer G1610T Performance First Look

If you think you might want to upgrade/replace the CPU in the future then go with the G1610T and apply your $60 savings to the new chip.

That Kingston RAM is what I'm using:

All things being equal I'd go with the NAS rated drives see: NAS HDD Showdown: WD Red vs. Seagate NAS

Edited by Joe_Miner

If your stated uses are really all you need, then the 1610T should do fine. And, as Joe_Miner stated, if you ever want to add extra roles to the server, you could upgrade to a Xeon CPU without having spent extra for a 2020T.

For you purposes, I think WD Reds would suit best. They're NAS rated, and low power, but do check out Joe_Miner's links for a more rounded picture.