RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Savage-74

Gen 8 Boot off SSD?

schoondoggy
Is it possible to enable RAID and convert all my drives (including SSD in the ODD bay) to individual RAID 0 arrays without formatting the disks/losing data?
Yes, but there are no guarantees. I would do the drives one at a time, starting with the SSD. Have a clean backup in case something goes wrong.

jaimbo
4 hours ago, schoondoggy said:
9 hours ago, jaimbo said:
Is it possible to enable RAID and convert all my drives (including SSD in the ODD bay) to individual RAID 0 arrays without formatting the disks/losing data?

Yes, but there are no guarantees. I would do the drives one at a time, starting with the SSD. Have a clean backup in case something goes wrong.

Do you have any suggestions on software to take a backup image of the SSD?

schoondoggy
8 hours ago, jaimbo said:

Do you have any suggestions on software to take a backup image of the SSD?

I like the free version of Macrium Reflect:

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Acronis is a good product as well.

jaimbo

So no luck in that approach. I wasn't able to use Macrium as the free version doesn't run on Windows Server. I just used the built in Windows Server Backup tool, currently going to try restoring the backup to the new RAID 0 array and see if I can boot after that.

jaimbo

Ok so I managed to get switched back to AHCI and restore my backup. Is it worth switching back to RAID and attempting to restore the backup to the SSD after creating a new RAID 0 array, or is this due to Windows initially being installed and setup for AHCI and it's missing a whole bunch of required settings/drivers for it to be bootable on a RAID setup?

schoondoggy
So no luck in that approach. I wasn't able to use Macrium as the free version doesn't run on Windows Server. I just used the built in Windows Server Backup tool, currently going to try restoring the backup to the new RAID 0 array and see if I can boot after that.

Not sure why you are trying to restore. The backup is there in case the data gets erased.
Ok so I managed to get switched back to AHCI and restore my backup. Is it worth switching back to RAID and attempting to restore the backup to the SSD after creating a new RAID 0 array, or is this due to Windows initially being installed and setup for AHCI and it's missing a whole bunch of required settings/drivers for it to be bootable on a RAID setup?

You need to have the B120i driver installed on the OS drive to move from AHCI to RAID0.

I assume the SSD is your boot drive? You have it connected in the ODD bay? How were you booting from it?

jaimbo
14 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Not sure why you are trying to restore. The backup is there in case the data gets erased.You need to have the B120i driver installed on the OS drive to move from AHCI to RAID0.

I assume the SSD is your boot drive? You have it connected in the ODD bay? How were you booting from it?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in that message.

I was able to create a backup through Windows Server Backup. I then switched from AHCI to RAID, and put the SSD into a RAID 0 array by itself. I then was not able to boot, instead getting an "Inaccessible Boot Device" blue screen. So after removing the drive from the array, and switching back to AHCI, I still was not able to boot and had to restore my backup.

It seems like I can't install the B120i driver because the hardware is not detected and the installer just exits out?

The SSD is my boot drive but currently the boot files have all been copied on to a micro SD card on the internal port as per the tutorial I followed somewhere else on this forum a long time ago!

schoondoggy

I was able to create a backup through Windows Server Backup. I then switched from AHCI to RAID, and put the SSD into a RAID 0 array by itself. I then was not able to boot, instead getting an "Inaccessible Boot Device" blue screen. So after removing the drive from the array, and switching back to AHCI, I still was not able to boot and had to restore my backup.

It seems like I can't install the B120i driver because the hardware is not detected and the installer just exits out?

The SSD is my boot drive but currently the boot files have all been copied on to a micro SD card on the internal port as per the tutorial I followed somewhere else on this forum a long time ago!
When you tried changing from AHCI to RAID did you remove the microSD boot loader?

jaimbo
43 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:
2 hours ago, jaimbo said:

When you tried changing from AHCI to RAID did you remove the microSD boot loader?

Yeah, I tried both with and without.

schoondoggy
Yeah, I tried both with and without.
It has been a long time since I played with this, but I thought the installer would let you install the driver without the B120i present. Not sure if there is a way around this issue.