RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Savage-74

Gen 8 Boot off SSD?

Savage-74

Hi All.

Finally bought some HDD drives for the Microserver Gen 8.

Connected floppy to Sata power converter and connected the SSD to the blue sata connector.

Installed Windows Server 2012 R2 no problems (did not use smart provisioning)

Now connected 2 x 3tb Smasung HDD's

The blasted thing now tries to boot off them.
I could not find anything in the bios to select the Sata controller as 1st boot option.

With the Samsung drives removed it boots fine.

I found an article mentioning the same issue and to change the boot options to use the second sata connection 1st, I can't find this option or don't seem to have this.

Can anyone offer how to fix this, I'm not using the build in raid controller as I'll be using TRaid (Software driven) so all 4 drive bays will be used and the SSD purely for boot disc and installed applications.

Thanks

jmwills

As you said, change the Boot Order to make the SSD the first drive.

Joe_Miner

Hi All.

Finally bought some HDD drives for the Microserver Gen 8.

Connected floppy to Sata power converter and connected the SSD to the blue sata connector.

Installed Windows Server 2012 R2 no problems (did not use smart provisioning)

Now connected 2 x 3tb Smasung HDD's

The blasted thing now tries to boot off them.

I could not find anything in the bios to select the Sata controller as 1st boot option.

With the Samsung drives removed it boots fine.

I found an article mentioning the same issue and to change the boot options to use the second sata connection 1st, I can't find this option or don't seem to have this.

Can anyone offer how to fix this, I'm not using the build in raid controller as I'll be using TRaid (Software driven) so all 4 drive bays will be used and the SSD purely for boot disc and installed applications.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forums Savage-74.

In the Gen8 Links Page between the topics on RAID and External Cases there's a link to a procedure written by TheBiggerMan to address booting from a SSD in the ODD in AHCI Mode that may have what you were looking for..........

Savage-74

As you said, change the Boot Order to make the SSD the first drive.

I also mentioned in the post, I cannot find this option to change the boot order. In my Bios it doesn't have option to change the controller, so it will so it seems will always try to boot the HDD's connected to the array if they are detected.... I can change only the order of USB / HDD (Array controller) / Floppy etc.

Welcome to the Forums Savage-74.

In the Gen8 Links Page between the topics on RAID and External Cases there's a link to a procedure written by TheBiggerMan to address booting from a SSD in the ODD in AHCI Mode that may have what you were looking for..........

Great thanks, will check this out!

Savage-74

To Update.

I decided to to check Bios again before going with the USB option to boot the SSD.

Changed the SATA Controller to legacy mode.

Checked the Controller boot order, still only one option.

Saved changes and let the server "reboot" the bios.

I then went back into the bios and checked the Controller boot order.

behold the 2nd controller is now showing, Changed it so this is now the 1st boot option.

Can now boot of SSD

I did read about losing the TRIM for SSD's in legacy mode.

So did more research and seems this is not the case

http://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/ide-sata-and-ahci-all-you-need-to-know/

Edited by Savage-74

petey_jc

Just wanted to post my solution to this... 

If you want to boot off the SSD while using the builtin RAID for RAID 10 like I wanted to, just make 2 arrays... 

1. The first array is a RAID 0 of just the SSD on SATA Port 5. 
  2. The second array would be the RAID 10 of the 3.5" drives. 
  3. Then just set the boot parameter to the first array and you're all set!

This might only work before you install the OS.  Not sure if this would work in the OP's situation

Hope this helps!

TeoCiontu

The problem is when you want to use AHCI mode. 

I have a question because I've read this in readme.txt from the new ROM directory:

"Enhanced the System ROM's detection of valid boot devices such as USB Drive Keys or Hard Drives. Previously, the System ROM may have attempted to boot certain bootable media with invalid boot records resulting in a Non-System Disk error. In some cases, the System ROM will now be able to detect the invalid boot record and skip attempting to boot the device. This allows the System ROM to attempt to boot the next device in the boot order."

This means that we can now boot from an ssd on ODD connection without any usb boot trick (in AHCI mode) ? 

Vance Fox

In achi mode you can only boot from port 1 or 2, which are on the sas.

If you're not going to get a card you'll have to use the all five ports with raid, setting your ssd on the odd port on raid 0.

Since this gives you, at best, 3gbs I chose, and was gently prodded, to buy a pcie raid card and a sas to sata cable and do it that way.

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Mesti

@Vance

It seems not to be a HP one. Can you recommend a good working one?

Would also like to Boot From SSD with Ubuntu on it and usw 4x 4TB WD Red only for Data as RAID 1. The P222 is at this time not affordable.

ThX

Mesti