RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Streaming DVDs with no quality loss - No VOBS

ttremeth

Hi, I thought I would share this experience with my need to stream DVDs that I have ripped to my home server. When connecting via the LAN it is fine. DVD VOBs are perfect. However when you go via wireless, it can catch and splutter. Solution? Join the vobs together and stream them. Make one mpeg file without losing the quality, 5.1 surround sound etc.

I simply used an application called vob2mpg The only hitch is you have to rip the the DVD or use anyDVD to remove copy protection so you can do it direct from the DVD.

The other good thing is the process is fast because no transcoding happens.

Are you compressing the DVD to change the bit rate? In "theory" it should work whether in one file or mulitples. This is interesting and I would like to know if you are altering the file at all. When I stream via wireless, all my DVD's play fine and they are all in VOB's but I have heard of others who have had problems.

Guest no-control

Yeah I think you have something else going on there. I can stream DVDs without issue and all of my DVDs are .iso rips. Is your WiFi n or g?

It is wireless N. Streaming the mpeg file(which is what a DVD is) works ok, however reading the vob off the share it not streaming and can slow down. Therefore all this app does is join the vobs together so Twonky can stream it. When you rip the dvd, you are ripping to one file not multiple vobs.

I think you said the magic words. Twonky. Try streaming natively with out towny and see what happens.

Twonky is fine for everything except mkv at the moment. However joining the vobs together works out just as good because you still rip the disk once. Takes about 10 minutes per disc and you get one nice file. The built in streamer is too limited. I could not add my dvds folder. Are you accessing you dvds via media player and server 1 or just via a file share? I think many will find this very handy.

I rip DVD natively (VOB) to a folder and simply point my two HTPC's library to the shares. There really is no need to stream unless you are transcoding for some reason due to an unsupported format. I have never had the need to use a media streamer since WHS was released. My strategy is several folders on my servers, BD, DVD, Movies, etcs. Copy the content to them, point my Media Center Library to those folders and everythings just works..

That is great, my wireless just won't do it all the time, hence the need to streaming. Getting wired is one of those jobs on the list.

WIred is certainly the way to go, however wireless should still work on everything but HD. No type of wireless will stream or serve a blu ray unless it is transcoded. You might want to monitor you wireless to see if you are having some signal issues. Certainly understand what you are doing, but it still does not make sense why one file streams better than a series "if" the bit rate is the same. If you have a method that works around the issue than certainly continue it is just one of those curiosity problems that I like to get to the bottom of. As a secondary check, you might want to check the bit rate of the single file to see if it is being altered. Even if the format is the same, there may be a difference in the way the file was created.

Yeah, Accessing a file from a share needs constant stable latency. If this drops for a second as does wireless for time to time, you get this issue. It is fine from 10 feet away but not across the house. I have had wireless since wireless came out. Twonky with all its warts (plenty as you pointed out) streams very nicely. The version 6 will support more media center functions and fingers crossed, works as advertised. Hence the joining of vobs so they can be "streamed" in the true technical sense. I am certain many other have had this issue and read forums where people do. It costs about 200/outlet for wired and I might just go that way very soon. In Australia it is illegal for DIY unless you are licensed.

Hey sometimes it is fine accessing the share but once night time comes the interference goes up. Not much we can do about as I have spent countless hours changing channels and changing equipment, buying better routers. Come to think of it, I probably wasted more than 800, but the minister of finance may not see it that way, LOL

Hopefully our posts help someone else because many will say "Hey I'm fine" but as many will say, "I'm not"