RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FleurDeLis425

Using Windows 8 as Home Server

ikon

For me, the biggest advantage of running the server version is BMR (Bare Metal Restore) of my client computers. Backups of my clients are automatic and unattended, even from Sleep Mode, and I can restore any of them in less than 30 minutes, with all programs and settings intact.

Not everyone wants or needs this, but I do.

Big Worm

Going to give this thread a bump.  I have been thinking more and more lately of simplifying things and getting off the whole Server 2012 and just running a Windows 8.1 box.  Part of the complexity I have is that I went down the path of running a domain.  Not being able to run Family Safety on the kids computers really sucks.  

Anybody make the switch?

• Like 1

jmwills

You don't have to join computers to the Domain.  The clients will work as though they are in a Workgroup for backup, restore, and file sharing.

Al_Borges

I switched from whs2011 to w8 on my home server almost two years ago and that has went well for me. I use acronis/ win image back up on the various clients for backup.

I tested free nas/unraid server and considered synology. But the ability to run drive pool and drive scanner is a key advantage for me. I RDP into a W8.1 start screen to administer

Sent from my IdeaTab S6000-F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Zenon

But the ability to run drive pool and drive scanner is a key advantage for me. ...

The drive pool with scanner are key advantage but I came to the conclusion that they should be able to be used on a file system which can heal itself (Refs not Ntfs). Or Stablebit should implement the checking the control sum of the files ...