RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
FleurDeLis425

Using Windows 8 as Home Server

Drashna Jaelre

Better question is why would it have to be separate? What COULD NOT run on it? 

captainshiner

I plan on moving over to Windows 8 Pro for my WHS2011 replacement as well. I dont need the simplicity of the WHS solution...it was just nice to have around. With the options we have today, its not as critical to have a dedicated WHS. I'll migrate my shares over, get CrashPlan Pro going again, and have offiste and USB backups. As long as my shares are safe, I could care less about BMR these days.  BUT...I still have the option with the OOB Windows backup to any network target.

Backing up a step here, my reason for going away from it is to collapse down a couple boxes, and build a new HTPC. This will primarily be my file server, but also do some light gaming and blurays. The gaming and movie playback wasn't wasn't going to be done on WHS2011.

jmwills

Why not run WHS as a virtual machine?

Al_Borges

If the box hosting the virtual machine goes down how do you do a BMR??

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

jmwills

I'm not concerned about BMR's, data retention and access is the key.

Technogod

I run this setup. Windows 8 Pro with WHS 2011 running as a VM. I use Acronis 2014 to do a daily backup of Windows 8 Pro system drive. That is how I'm able to do a BMR using my WHS 2011 Server Backup if the box hosting the VM goes down.

ikon

jarin2, you really need to provide more details about your hardware. For one thing, is your laptop certified for Windows 8?

pcdoc

This is a topic that has been debated for a long time.  I have used the WHS 2011 in a VM, the stand alone Windows 8 and of course the dedicated WHS 2011.  Each has a place but to me it is largely driven by how many PC's your are backing up and how much data you have.  More than 2 PC's or more than 2-3T of data and a Window 8 machine becomes impractical as a backup solution.  No single instance backup forces you to requiring a larger backup pool and forces you to a backup solution for each PC.  I love Acronis but I only use it on my main machine and my server for the OS as backing up 6 systems would just not be practical though it certainly would work.  Just have to rite size the job.  I recently ran WHS 2011 in a VM and used acronis and that works well but again, it adds a layer of complication to the equation.  You can do all these things but whether you should or not depends on your own situation.  My Two cents...

adsboel

when I think of it, I didn't use my windows 2008 r2 for anything that windows 8 cant do. Maybe raid5 via software, but that is amended by the appearance of storage drive pools.

I would say go with it. You have a nice box you can always remote desktop to or remote app on, when you need to run off your existing desktop. Its nice for many things and feels complete in a work group type of setup.

Brian

jmacbo

I'm running windows 8 on my microserver, it works well enough and I found it to be simpler and didn't have as much stuff that I didn't need compared to the server versions.