RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
tinkererguy

Connect to Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials without affecting your DNS, staying in workgroup mode

ikon

And you're not too sure about the dog...... ba-dump-dump :D

Drashna Jaelre

LOL. 

No, I don't actually use that policy. Somebody requested it, and I looked it up. It's rather simple, and a good example of what you can do with GPOs.

ikon

Yeah. Even at work we didn't dare enforce that one; we would have had a rebellion on our hands. IT's reputation would have sunk even lower, if that's even possible.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

LOL!

Somebody wanted it... I just provided it. I'm not responsible for any lynchmobs. :)

ikon

You're a good man Charlie Brown.

• Like 1

Drashna Jaelre

Besides, it's a good example of what you can do with group policies. :)

ikon

True 'nuf.

timekills

On a more serious note, the only reason I've considered going to a domain at home is for roaming profiles. Every time I consider it, I don't because the family members each have their own laptop (and desktop for some.) But then yet another kid's laptop will get messed up due to virus/user error and I kick myself wishing I'd just set up the roaming profiles so they could jump on a spare PC and finish whatever they were working on.

Drashna Jaelre

Instead of using Roaming profiles, set up Folder Redirection. It doesn't get the profile information, but it does get all of the user folders and puts them on the network. It enables offline file sync, so they don't have to be connected to the network.

It's also a built in feature for Essentials.

timekills

Instead of using Roaming profiles, set up Folder Redirection. It doesn't get the profile information, but it does get all of the user folders and puts them on the network. It enables offline file sync, so they don't have to be connected to the network.

It's also a built in feature for Essentials.

That wouldn't give them access to their desktop when logged on to a different PC however, would it?

I've given up after 15 years of trying to convince the family members to not save stuff to the desktop.