RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WSE 2012 to WSE 2012 R2 - New installation & Data Drives

Quick Quesiton

I have been running WSE 2012 Trial which has now expired, so i was going to install the WSE 2012 R2 trial on my N54L

Can i just do a new installation on the OS drive and all the keep all the data intact on my data drives - yes i have backups

PG

Edited by Philgr

In that case, the data should be recognized with no difficulty. I would remove the drives during the OS installation and then add them back in.  The "SID's" for the NTFS permissions will be some unknown users but don't worry about that.

Well I have managed to update the bios to the new modified version off the German site, and carried out a issues free clean install of Server 2012 essentials R2

All my old data is present on the drives, just need to re-learn how to set it all up again and integrate it back into my home network

PG

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry but I didn't actually have any client backups due to the fact the all my clients are OSX and iOS, and all my important files are in the cloud or backed up on server shares

Drashna Jaelre

Are you able to utilize your WSE2012 client backups on the WSE2012R2 OS?

yes, the Server 2012 Essentials client backups work on Server 2012R2 Essentials. I recently migrated and can confirm that it recognizes them, and more importantly, you can restore from them.