RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sort my MP3's (duplicates)

@evan_adams

So I finally got my new microserver up and running with WHS 2011.  Now I find myself with a 40gb MP3 music folder that probably has at least 3-5 copies of every mp3.  

1) What do you all use to sort and delete duplicate files?  

- I have done a lot of google'ing but it seems like there are many apps with 'similar' names and some definitely distribute crapware on the install. 

2) I need something that will read the MP3 data and fill in the ID3 tags based on some sort of online database automagically? Any cheap or free recommendations?  I do not use itunes.

I used duplicate cleaner free and it helped me save 10gb.  My old mediasmart / twonky I think sorted and coppied everything into a separate sort/artist name/ folder.  

Now I have to figure out the ID3 tags.  Really dont want to spend $30

I have, for years, had a licence for Beyond Compare. I've found it works really well for identifying duplicates.

Guys, won't Windows Media Player fill ID3 info? I don't know for sure, since I hardly ever worry about ID3, but I seem to recall reading about it somewhere (most likely in these forums).

I spent two days trying to work with Picard and it worked well.  But I made a mistake and deleted the new directory structure.   Glary utilities installed a 'buy me' start up flash screen so that immediately went to the recycle bin. 

Going to drop the ID3 thing for now. 

Thanks all. 

The first time you run the free version of Glary it asks if you would like to upgrade to the pro version. If you click 'no thanks' it does not ask you again.

I use TagTuner.

And WMP will fill in id3 tags, IIRC. But not necessarily with the right information... Nor with images embedded.

But there is always the option of sending me a HDD with music, a 3-4TB HDD for payment, and I'd send back a well organized HDD. Tagged and everything. ;)

The free version of Mediamonkey (Ventis media) is great for finding duplicates and fixing tags

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2