RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

EX-485 w/V3.0 Problems with Server Recovery

BH9244

I have had this unit for about 4 years and it seems to work for a stretch of 6 to 9 months before it becomes inaccessible and needs a re-install, that aside the present problem seems to occur as follows.

I put the server in recovery mode (solid white light )

Start the server recovery software, it find the server and completes.

After this it prompts to restart and install software from server, at this point it is unable to find server despite repeated attempts. Past attempts have proceeded beyond this point but hang somewhere in the configuring backup portion at the 51% mark..

Any thoughts or suggestions would surely be appreciated..

Thanks..

Big Picture wise I'd like to Migrate to 2011 but have some backups to a failed drive elsewhere on the network that I hope to recover if I can get the homeserver restored again.

Seems like I  remember people using a crossover cable for this when having that issue.  Bypass the router.

These backups you want to recover -- what do you mean by recover?

Do you want to do restores to some computers before you migrate?

Are you hoping to get v1 backups off a failed drive so you can migrate them to WHS2011 (cause that ain't gonna happen)?

Tried it with crossover cable, seemed like the install failed even earlier. Pulled the drives one by one with the unit powered down, seems like I can access everything on the non-system drive, the system drive shows directorys and content correctly but if you try and access any of those files it throws an error. Seems like a physical or logical issue on the system drive..

Have you connected the OS drive to another computer and run CHKDSK on it -- it may just be directory issues that are causing the issues. If that doesn't work, you could try SpinRiting the drive.

Thanks everyone for your advice, in the end the system drive was scrambled up and from what it looks like it tried to then install the system to the 4th drive, I formatted and the re-install went well all seems ok again, have bought a copy of WHS2011 and will be upgrading in the near future.. In hindsight it seems to me that when I have had problems they occur when available drive space get low, perhaps not allowing adequate headroom for the system to do its legwork..