RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

USB 3.0 external hard drives keep disappearing then reappearing

DOS76

I just bought a new Asus M51AC with 4th gen core i7 and 16GB of ram to replace my Windows Server 2012 Essentials install because the Asus CG5290 it was installed on was having problems with my USB 3.0 external drives (using 2 Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Probox 4 bay drive enclosures). I thought that this was due to the USB 3.0 card that I had installed not working right. I removed all the drives after one had become raw and I installed the two enclosures on my WHS2011 box while on there I never saw or noticed any of the drives missing and I never encountered any issue with file transfers or anything so I believed my theory that it was the card from the original box. I brought my new computer home and installed Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 on it the first thing that I did was installed the two internal drives from my original WSE install one of them came up as 0GB in the BIOS and I can't get it to work which is another issue all together but two or three days ago I finally got around to connecting the external drives to the computer and bam I am having the same issue with the drives dropping in and out which is wrecking havoc on my computing experience. I am using StableBit DrivePool so every time a disk comes up missing I am screwed because the pool doesn't allow you to write anything while any of the disks are missing so my torrent files are stopping while the drives are gone and my file transfers are stopping whenever the disks go missing and sometimes I'll return to my computer hoping that what ever I started will have finished while I was away only to find that it ran into a snag as soon as I left and until someone manually restarts it it will lie dormant.If I happen to be watching a video located on one of the missing drives the playback will stop suddenly. It is becoming a real nuisance. I went on Technet Forums and was going to write a post but they had similar post about Windows 8.1 having issues with the power management turning USB devices off and causing people problems. I read through the post and there was a link stating that they had the cure for the issue. I went on and changed the power settings how they described did the registry hacks that were listed and even tweaked the power setting for the usb hubs in the device manager but still I can't get rid of the issue. I find it hard to believe that both of the Proboxes would be going bad at the same instance. I really don't want to reconnect the disks to the WHS20121 box but I also can't live with my drives disappearing on me. If any one can offer any kind of assistance it would be greatly appreciated.

Does the problem occur if you disable sleep mode/power savings all together?  The Series 8 chipset does have some documented USB 3 issues but I am not seeing the issue nor do I use any type of sleep mode or power savings.

First, thank goodness I'm not having these issues with my setup.

Which brings me to my observation. You say you had problems with WSE2012, so you moved the enclosures to WHS2011, and had no issues. Then you moved the enclosures back to WSE2012 on a new motherboard and had issues again.

Call me crazy, but this seems pretty straight forward: you're having compatibility issues with WSE2012 and your USB-3 card. However, before putting all the blame on WSE2012 or the USB-3 card, some questions:

1. When you connected the enclosures to WHS2011, did you connect them to the same USB-3 card as you used for your original WSE2012 computer? Which driver did you use: the same one you used for WSE2012 or another one?

2. When you connected the enclosures to the new WSE2012 box, did you again use the same USB-3 card as you used for your original WSE2012, or did you connect them using the USB-3 ports on the mobo?

3. Did you use a driver for the USB-3 card that was certified for Server 2012?

Second install is WSE2012ER2 there is a known issue with this in Windows 8.1 I found some registry hacks and power settings changes but they didn't help with the issue. 1)No the Asus CG5290 is from 2009 and it didn't come with USB 3.0. The WHS2011 box came with 3.0. The new box has pre-installed USB 3.0. also. 3) Never looked into that for the original 2012E install just used the driver disk that came with the card. It was working ok at first but then I had problems. 

Edited by DOS76

Ok this was a known issue in Windows 8.1 with the Mediasonic HF2-SU3S2 Probox and a lot of other USB 3.0 drives. I found quite a few post on the MediaSonic forum where people with the issue were installing a program called KeepAliveHD (which you configure to start a write event on every disk. I used the default 7 seconds so every 7 seconds  all of my disks get a signal from the program preventing the drives from going dormant) the forum reported that you had to install it on all or the Proboxes drives originally I tried this and didn't have any success then when I got home this evening I added it to the StableBit DrivePool virtual disk and now according to my system logs I haven't lost a hard drive since. My DrivePool is duplicating and everything seems to be in an exceptable working order. Sure I would like to actually fix the problem but for now I will be happy that my drives won't be disappearing on my every ten or fifteen minutes. 

• 4 weeks later...

After upgrading to Windows 8.1, I had the same problem as described above with two models of MediaSonic enclosures.  It is not a problem with the enclosure but rather some improvements made by Microsoft in Windows 8.1 for power management.  I tried many solutions but the one that eventually worked was on Microsoft's USB blog that provides instructions to disable suspend using a power shell script provided by Microsoft.  The registry hacks in other posts and the control panel options did not work.

Below is a link to the solution.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2013/11/01/help-after-installing-windows-8-1-my-usb-drive-disappears-or-file-transfers-stop-unexpectedly-r-a-post-title.aspx