RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help me decide on a Synology device?

texasPI

I played around with Xpenelogy on my HP N40L and I found I liked Synology's DSM OS and all the packages etc. While Xpenology worked fine on my N40L, I found it needed too much tinkering which is what I'm trying to get away from.

I currently have a WHS 2011 that I use strictly for the automatic backups of my Windows machines. I also have an unRAID box with 5 2TB drives that serves as the home for all my critical stuff. It has served me faithfully but write speeds are slow even with a cache drive and other tweaks and the plugin development is not what I had hoped it would be. Plugins are routinely abandoned etc. Also, unRAID 5 was in beta FOREVER and finally went final but I worry that the one man shop developing it will cease. By far my biggest data are Bluray movie rips. I recently reset my entire unRAID and am running it vanilla without any plugins. I want to make it so it holds only my media files.

So, my intended use case for a Synology is to hold my critical data like documents, photos etc and to also use some of the packages like Cloud Station and VPN server. All told, this data amounts to a little less than 1TB.

Therefore, I was considering one of the 2 bay units with with two 4TB WD Reds or Seagate NAS drives in SHR or Raid 1. I can't decide amongst the various 2 bay devices. I do not plan to do any transcoding but I 'm worried that going with the lowest end processor/RAM will possibly prevent me benefitting from future DSM releases/features.

Any thoughts, advice, etc?

I don't think I would worry about features not being available on low end models, Synology does a good job of keeping DSM the same across all devices. Here is a review of the new entry level Synology 2 bay:

http://www.storagereview.com/synology_diskstation_ds214se_review

If you only have 1TB data, I don't think I would use 4TB drives. 3TB Reds may be a more cost effective choice. 

Supposedly, you can run a Synology DSM on a N40/N54L

Microserver-DSM-4.2-02.05.2013

there is a post on the forums about it.

Yeah. I'm kind of wondering if DSM has to be customized specifically for the target hardware or if it can be installed fairly generically on 3rd party hardware, like Windows.

Interesting. I suspect an N54L would make a pretty kick-a$$ DSM box, at least compared to the, IMHO, underpowered, overpriced HW Synology sells. 'Course, it would make it hard for Syno to survive if their boxes didn't sell.

It still leaves open the question of running DSM on other HW.

I'm sorry, guys! I never got email notification of your replies and I just remembered I had created this thread.

Supposedly, you can run a Synology DSM on a N40/N54L

Microserver-DSM-4.2-02.05.2013

there is a post on the forums about it.

I did try it out on my N40L and it worked good enough though there were/are some things I could not get to work like WOL despite trying several fixes. Aside from that, I'm trying to get away from the constant tinkering (gasp!) since I don't have the time these days for it and XPEnology seems like it needs quite of tinkering bit for updates to new versions of DSM and then editing the vender file to set proper MAC of NIC etc.

I've looked at the Synology DS214SE and for just a little more I can go with a DS213J with twice the RAM. I'm pretty much decided to go with the DS213J with 2 2TB WD Reds.

I came across another NAS manufacturer called Asustor. A quick search of the forums returned no hits. Purportedly there are some former Synology folks behind it and there is a striking similarity between Synology's DSM and Asustor's ADM OS.

Anyone heard of/tried Asustor?

Interesting. I suspect an N54L would make a pretty kick-a$$ DSM box, at least compared to the, IMHO, underpowered, overpriced HW Synology sells. 'Course, it would make it hard for Syno to survive if their boxes didn't sell.

It still leaves open the question of running DSM on other HW.

That is my concern, too. What happens in the future if they implement some kind of hardware checks that'll make it harder to run DSM on non-Synology hardware? The price/performance of Synology makes it hard for me to swallow but I like the idea of having something that is supported by DSM vs hacked together ports for non-natively supported hardware.

Edited by texasPI

Given that DSM is open source, it would pretty hard for Syno to put in hardware checks. 'Course, they might be able to kill certain features/apps (ones that aren't based on open source) after doing a hardware check.

Asustor seems very much like a clone of Synology. Even the prices seem pretty comparable (from a cursory glance anyway). The boxes still seem underpowered to me: both CPU & RAM.