Joe_Miner

Gen8 Kernal_Security_Check_Failure

Joe_Miner

I've been seeing Kernal_Security_Check_Failure's on my Gen8

I noticed it in addition to on my 2nd install of S2012R2 I used to Corsair 60GB SSD's in RAID0 as my OS drive -- I assumed the problem related to the SSD's having different FirmWare versions.  

Tried a fresh install (my 3rd) on 2 VR's in RAID0 for my OS dirve for S2012R2 and got the Kernal error during the Windows update which threw me in to a continuous boot loop -- I suspeced then that the problem was that I had only 2GB of RAM so I upgraded the RAM to 16GB 

Tried a Fresh install again (my 4th) on 2 VR's in RAID0 for my OS drive for S2012R2 but now with 16GB of RAM -- and have again gotten the Kernal error twice

I also noticed that starting with the 2nd install I would install the Server Backup function in S2012R2 -- when Server Backup runs I always get a Backup Failed to Compete Message -- the drive cannot find the sector requested -- the failures seem to occur during the volume shadow service portion of the backup

I've run all the Hardware diagnostics on the Gen8 and they all say the HardWare is OK which is leading me to believe the issue/problem is with the drivers possibly the RAID controller?

I've had the MicroServer auto-load all of the suggested drivers

Joe_Miner

Awwwwwww, looks like I need the Supplemental Release!

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tangcla

It's just the B120i RAID controller driver you need - the latest version doesn't work, you need the older one. Let me find out which one i used.

HP update file cp020926 contained the B120i driver which allowed me to get through the installation.

tangcla

Do you have a link to that file cp020926 -- It's probably just that it's late but I can't find it

It's included inside the HP 2012R2 supplement file.

Joe_Miner

Well, before I updated my install of S2012R2 with cp020926 I thought I would do an install of S2012 -- which did seem to cure my Kernal-Security-Check-Failure but Server Backup still FAILS as before with S2012R2!

Again, every HW diagnostic says things are great.

I'm wondering if it is the B120i driver so I'm wondering if the cp020926 is needed for that also?  Maybe if I had done an install of S2012 in the first place -- before trying S2012R2 ......................

LoneWolf

Have you tried using ESXi as a hypervisor, then running S2012R2? Might be a nice workaround with use in the future.

Edited by LoneWolf

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Steventon's IT World
      By Steventon's IT World
      Hi all,

You might have seen my other post about a way to install two CPU fans to the heatsink of the Micro Server Gen 8 on the forum. If not then check it out here. I posted full instructions on my blog here.

I am trying to find a way to stop the noise of the fans when the server isn't producing much processor heat. I think a temperature switch is the best way to go. Something like in the image attached. It allows me to change the temp value but it looks like it might only turn off the switch when it gets hot. I want this the other way around. Does anyone know if this is the case or whether this item would actually work?

Many Thanks

• Steventon's IT World
      By Steventon's IT World
      Hi all,

New to the forum so hello all 

I wrote about this in much more detail on my blog here with instructions.

I recently installed dual fans on my Gen 8 heatsink after installing the Intel Core i3 3240 processor. Installing the i3 processor gave me a huge increase in performance but came at a cost. That cost being heat and a lot of it. So I ordered some 30x30 fans and installed them onto the heatsink. 

I was extremely careful of placement. Putting anything in the middle of the heatsink fins (anything holding the fans) could cause heat spots and that's not something I wanted the put my new processor through. So I managed to cable tie the fans to the screws holding the heatsink to the motherboard. Again being careful as to not apply too much pressure to the screws.

The fans are rather stable seeing as just two cable ties are holding it down. The method works very well and I am really impressed with it. I have seen a huge 20°C decrease in temperature readings when the server is at full CPU load.

I thought I would share this method as other people might be interested in. 

• Calby
      By Calby
      Hi,
      Here is some new drivers and Firmwares that I have find that are newer then the once that was on the SPP.

The new drivers are
      Ethernet Firmware (Only Windows) (EXE-file) Ethernet Driver (Only Windows) (EXE-file) Graphifc Drivers (Only Windows) (EXE-file)  
      The link also inkludes
      Intelligent Provisioning 1.70.63 (All OS) (ISO-File)  
      Install instruktions
      If you 'll download and install the Firmware and driver for the Ethernetcard, make sure that you install the Firmware and reboot the server before you update the drivers.

The Intelligent Provisioning update is a bootable ISO-file.
      So just mount the file in your iLO remote console and then choose to boot the server from the DVD (mounted ISO-file) then follow the instructions.

Download link
      https://cloud.nohatech.se/d/d287965bf78c4a50a24b/

Password
      Sweclockers2017HPe

Download instruktions
      You can if you want donwload each file by it self or you can download all of the files in one zip-file.
      If you want to download the files in a zip-file just click on the Green link that says "ZIP" at the right on the download site and the server will zip the files for you and start a download for you.
      Every file is named like this HPesOwnPacketName_Version_FW/driver.exe everything so you can see the info about the files.

I'll continue to upload the newest drivers and firmwares for our beloved HPe Microsoerver gen8.
    • dynamikspeed
      By dynamikspeed

Hi,
      I have the following setup at home (See pic)
      I have come back to my server after 1 year. I need some advice as I think I could be doing things better. The main goal is to improve performance in a cost effective way and do things more efficiently.

My main use is rapidly download ISO's and cloning baseline VM's to run new test VM's in my lab with test domain.
      If i could get a built in NAS or something on the server that would be good but I have read that FreeNas is best run on bare metal.
      I think I want SSD storage for VM's and 2TB SATA to be used as shared storage across the network. Will I need to get 2 SSD's for RAID 0 is this recommended?

I originally purchased only 1 x 2TB SATA as it is just a home lab for testing VM's on and I couldn't afford a bunch of SSD's.
      This is setup as 2 logical drives on the Smart Array B120i. I know there are other options in BIOS:
      Enable SATA Legacy support
      Enable SATA AHCI support

Do I need to enable these instead of B120i what is the difference?

I use virtualbox on my laptop and some VM's if I am away from home or mainly because i don't want the server running all the time due to power consumption?
      Am I being silly here is the laptop drawing similar power to the server or is it a lot less?

My Buffalo NAS is very slow on the network and unreliable even though it is supposed to be Gigabit which is why I am now use 2TB Seagate external.

In ESXi the VM options has a selection for SCSI controller:
      LSI Logic SAS
      LSI Logic Parallel
      VMware Paravirtual

Do you know what the difference is and which one I need to use for best performance? Is this different for SATA and SSD disks?

• JackoUK
      By JackoUK
      After 2 days and no problems with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update I thought I'd report my conversion experiences.

The upgrade was offered immediately on N36, N54 and Gen8 microservers, which in my case are running Windows 10 Pro.
      I accepted the 'in place' upgrade on 3 of my 4 machines ... with some trepidation since the last upgrade destroyed my shared folder configurations.
      No problems of any sort thus far: only the splash screens for the new features in Edge makes one aware that things have changed.
      'In place' with HDD's for the OS drive is .... very slow ... we're talking hours.

The 2nd of my Gen8 machines stalled mid way through upgrade ...but I don't think that was a server or Windows problem: when I reverted to the old OS version disk errors were reported so I suspect the OS disk is on its way out.
      After repairing bad blocks I tried a clean reinstall. This is much faster (40 minutes) but one has to reinstall programs and reconfigure. Not a problem since this is only a file server, so only shared folders to reset. I'm glad this happened in one way ... good I think to remind oneself of how to handle a rebuild ... since I could not find the B120i driver file ... or indeed any other HP drivers for the Gen8, which should have been in my machine installation archive. Corrected.

The usual sites were reporting that the new version of Onedrive requires manual installation. Worked fine.

Time to explore the new features then.
      I've had it in the back of my mind to try REFS via Storage Spaces for some time. Unfortunately this is another case of NASDAQ:MSFT going backwards for consumers: that option is now removed and only available in the new Windows Pro for Workstations edition. Which I won't be buying.
      To be fair though the upgrade has worked without problems on LINX 1010 tablets and my old DELL PC, SAMSUNG laptop, so my initial reaction is to give MSFT the thumbs up.
      Hope everyone else has good experiences too!