RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Vail - vote up/down new features

dvn

After Dave and the guys went through the top 10 over on Connect, I headed over there myself and voted on some features that I'd like to see. I added my comments to a few.

Regarding Mac backups on WHS, I see it this way. There's a significant number of people who have PC's and Macs in their homes. For MS not to provide a way to back up a Mac is just not good business sense. What? WHS has such a wide base it can afford to shun a certain group? IMO, no. What do you guys think?

I myself do not own any Macs, so it does not matter to me either way. But, a buddy of mine does own Macs and when he wanted to have a home server he ended up going with HP specifically for that Mac backup feature. Otherwise, he would have done a home build. I think HP may sell a few more units because of this feature and if MS added it native to Vail, HP would lose a slight edge but probably not enough to worry about. Most apple guys probably use time machine, and the rest of them live in a dream world where they think the Mac never breaks or needs backed up.

I say shun the apple guys. To me it is like "say no to crack". ; )

As mentioned on the podcast it only affects 10 to 15 people, so who cares. They can buy an hp if they want that capability. Sorry, hard core apple hater here.

I think MS should do it. Isn't WHS supposed to be an appliance targeted at general folk? In many ways, users shouldn't really know they are running Windows unless they dig in. Home Server should have clients that work with a variety of OSes including Mac and Ubuntu...

I agree with mrossco. More people are buying Apple computers. It would be nice to see a Mac backup function built into Windows Home Server. I currently use SuperDuper! to backup the Apple computers on the network (two iMacs and one MacBook Pro) and the CrashPlan client.

If HP can do it, why can Microsoft add that feature to the next version of Windows Home Server.

Just my $0.02.