RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 lost my Music folder

TheGuy

Anyone,

This morning, I went to play my music and it was not playing, Checked the Home Server and my Music folder is gone.  not listed, not there. at all.

Anyone ever lost a folder, out of the blue like that?

any recommendation on getting it back?  what software could I use to see if the folder is still there but with permissions gone or something.

Everything else on the server is 100%... just my music is gone, missing...disappeared.  weird.

comments welcomed.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drashna Jaelre

• TheGuy

• jmwills

• ikon

Change you options to show hidden and system folders.  I've seen strange things in my life.

Anyone for a restore?

Did the folder disappear or just the files?  Curious.  How about the share? 

How about backups of these files?  External, cloud, etc?

Next move to a scan of the disks.  https://www.piriform.com/recuva  This app does a decent job for free.  Just don't install it on anything that might have held the data.  I would refrain from any writes to the server until you get this sorted.

Well; I did the *.mp3 and nothing found. except what are in my backup's of my whs2011

I looked at installing on my laptop the "  https://www.piriform.com/recuva" solution, but it won't allow my to scan over the network to my WHS disks.  Even if I create a mapdrive.

Si I decided to look into this a bit more and for now...nothing is being done on the server until I figure this out...or until I say...ok I'll keep an eye out...and recopy my music to the folder.

and YES I have 3-2-1 backup's  so I've lost NOTHING.  That is one thing this community has thought me well.  So worse case I'll go pick up my backup drives in my local bank-vault where I keep my bi-weekly backup's.  The rest is probably still on my desktop.  Actually I just did a count of my *.MP3 on backup No:2 and all 7166 MP3's are present.

it is just bizarre, that the folder disappeared...on my WHS 2011.  (Backup No:1)

Is the Shared Folder name still there?

Computer Mgt>Shared Folders>Shares   That location will show the path.

Did anyone install iTunes on a PC and point to the server's Music folder ? There is a setting in iTunes that moves the Music folder to the Users account or PC.

So glad to hear HSS has helped you get your backup situation in order. Here's where it pays off :)

Interesting idea diehard. It's pretty arbitrary of iTunes to do that. 'Course, it's not unusual of Apple to do arbitrary things -- I think it was Jobs' unofficial motto ;)