RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ST3000DM001 Issues

revengineer

At a price of $99 I could not resist picking up a Seagate ST3000DM001 at Newegg's Thanksgiving Sale. I was thrilled with the price but the experience of the past two days has put a damper on my joy. I thought I report my experience, maybe I am doing something stupid.

When I received the drive, I stuck it immediately into a USB dock adapter. WS2012E disk manager initialized and quick formatted the drive. I tried to copy a few files, all worked fine.

While the drive appeared to work fine, I wanted to stress test it to make sure all sectors are working without read errors. I find the least intrusive way to my setup is to run the Surface Test in HD Sentinel, which unlike Spinrite can be run without taking the server down. HD Sentinel chomped away until about half-way through the write cycle, it was showing bad sectors. However, the error message provided was "Error: 1 Incorrect function". At the same time the drive was no longer responding to any access attempts and the USB dock needed to be power cycled to regain access to the drive.

Googling the error message, it appeared that it was more a Windows system error than a hard disk problem, so I tried again and this time the same error appeared much earlier on sectors that were previously working fine. This lead me to believe that there is something flaky with HD Sentinel.

I still needed to exclude that the drive was at fault so I downloaded Seatools for Windows. Unfortunately this software does not run on WS2012E, it is incompatible. No problem I thought, I use my Windows 7 PC. I installed the program, hook up the drive and *boom* got a BSOD. So this was not going to work.

Next step was to get Seatools for DOS. The CD booted fine and recognized the drives after I set the BIOS form AHCI to IDE. The short and long tests completed without errors but did not go through all LBAs.

This seemed funny so I fired Spinrite up and sure enough, the drive showed only 800 GB accessible, which I guess is a limitation of my pre-UEFI BIOS. So any DOS program will not get me to my goal of proving the entire drive error free.

I have reformatted the drive and am now running stablebit scanner over it. I am half-way through the drive and so far so good. I guess I could run chkdsk after that to get another assessment.

I have to say, this has been probably the most hassle I have ever had with a new hard drive. I have not had any such issues with my WD green drives. Also the 3 TB Toshiba drive picked up at Newegg in the beginning of November for the same $99 price tag, installed and passed the HD Sentinel stress test without issues.

I know there are a number of folks here that use the ST3000DM001 regularly and find them to be great. So maybe I am just doing something stupid. Please let me know how you stress test these drives while avoiding the road block I have run into.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

Cheers.

Yeah, the issue with SpinRite and drives over 2 TB has many of us a little frustrated. I wish Steve would get on with at least getting that part to work. I know he's working on a complete rewrite of SpinRite, but I'd settle, for now, with just being able to handle today's larger HDDs.

At a price of $99 I could not resist picking up a Seagate ST3000DM001 at Newegg's Thanksgiving Sale. I was thrilled with the price but the experience of the past two days has put a damper on my joy. I thought I report my experience, maybe I am doing something stupid.

When I received the drive, I stuck it immediately into a USB dock adapter. WS2012E disk manager initialized and quick formatted the drive. I tried to copy a few files, all worked fine.

While the drive appeared to work fine, I wanted to stress test it to make sure all sectors are working without read errors. I find the least intrusive way to my setup is to run the Surface Test in HD Sentinel, which unlike Spinrite can be run without taking the server down. HD Sentinel chomped away until about half-way through the write cycle, it was showing bad sectors. However, the error message provided was "Error: 1 Incorrect function". At the same time the drive was no longer responding to any access attempts and the USB dock needed to be power cycled to regain access to the drive.

Googling the error message, it appeared that it was more a Windows system error than a hard disk problem, so I tried again and this time the same error appeared much earlier on sectors that were previously working fine. This lead me to believe that there is something flaky with HD Sentinel.

I still needed to exclude that the drive was at fault so I downloaded Seatools for Windows. Unfortunately this software does not run on WS2012E, it is incompatible. No problem I thought, I use my Windows 7 PC. I installed the program, hook up the drive and *boom* got a BSOD. So this was not going to work.

Next step was to get Seatools for DOS. The CD booted fine and recognized the drives after I set the BIOS form AHCI to IDE. The short and long tests completed without errors but did not go through all LBAs.

This seemed funny so I fired Spinrite up and sure enough, the drive showed only 800 GB accessible, which I guess is a limitation of my pre-UEFI BIOS. So any DOS program will not get me to my goal of proving the entire drive error free.

I have reformatted the drive and am now running stablebit scanner over it. I am half-way through the drive and so far so good. I guess I could run chkdsk after that to get another assessment.

I have to say, this has been probably the most hassle I have ever had with a new hard drive. I have not had any such issues with my WD green drives. Also the 3 TB Toshiba drive picked up at Newegg in the beginning of November for the same $99 price tag, installed and passed the HD Sentinel stress test without issues.

I know there are a number of folks here that use the ST3000DM001 regularly and find them to be great. So maybe I am just doing something stupid. Please let me know how you stress test these drives while avoiding the road block I have run into.

Thanks for suggestions in advance.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear of your troubles.  Of the 35+ drives I have running right now, 14 of them are the 3T Seagates and 12 of them run 24/7.  I did have one drive die after about 1.5 years but other than that it has been good.  Unlike some on these forums, I am in the camp of refusing not using any utilities on my drives.  Historically they have caused more problems than they have solve me.  There is also possibility of issues with drive firmware with some of the lower level testing.  I am not saying that they are all bad just that my hit rate is better without them than with them.  I would RMA the drive and get a replacement and this time just use it.  They are great drives and you will be happy with it once you get past this.  Good luck.

Thanks for your comments. For an update, I cleaned the drive in diskpart and reformatted. Stablebit read drive without errors. I ran checkdisk and file structure, data blocks and empty space verified without problems. At the very end chkdsk still exited with an "unknown error", but i have seen this for drives before. So I believe that the drive is fine so i am going to hold on to the drive.

RMA seems to require diagnostic code form Seatools, non of the available versions run on any of my computers. My lack of ability to prove any failure on this drive will influence my decision to by additional quantities of these drive. In the future I will go with the WD reds. The WD diagnostic software runs well and with the diagnostic codes WD drive RMAs have been easy.

ikon: I strongly agree with your wish for Steve to finish coding Spinrite 6.1. We need it, and I do not understand how a business can get distracted by so many unpaid projects, some of which do not even work. For the latter, the portable dog killer was a joke. I built the thing and had complaints from my family about high-pitch sounds for days. However, applied to my dogs, they just looked at me and did not budge. #FAIL

Your comment on the RMA is interesting.  The last two I did not require and seatool or code.  I used the advance RMA and had a new drive in less than two days.

pcdoc: very interesting. My comment was based on the information on the seagate website where Step 2 gives the instructions for "Troubleshoot your problem". Following the procedure for SATA drives, bad blocks would fall under Issue 6: Error messages -> 4: Error from SeaTools. This is where running SeaTools is documented, the step I was never able to complete.

Does that mean you completely circumvented this whole process? Did your drives have errors or did it fail completely? (The latter obviously makes justification of an RMA easier.) If you had sector failures, how did you describe the problem? 

As far as a new version of SpinRite goes, as long as Steve's got plenty of money coming in for the existing version, he doesn't really have all that much incentive to get on with it.

Regarding the portable dog killer:

1. you're the 1st person I've heard of who actually built one;
  2. I'm sure Steve would be happy to help you troubleshoot it and get it working properly (sounds like a frequency band issue), but please don't ask him -- we don't need another thing to distract him ;)

As far as a new version of SpinRite goes, as long as Steve's got plenty of money coming in for the existing version, he doesn't really have all that much incentive to get on with it.

Regarding the portable dog killer:

1. you're the 1st person I've heard of who actually built one;
  2. I'm sure Steve would be happy to help you troubleshoot it and get it working properly (sounds like a frequency band issue), but please don't ask him -- we don't need another thing to distract him ;)

The circuit was pretty easy to built, and the electronics itself is working perfectly fine. Problem is that my dogs couldn't care less. I think the concept of startling the animals with ultrasound is flawed. A number of people reported the same observations as I did, and the whole project has fizzled since. I still had fun building it.