RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
carp969

GEN8 Ram

carp969

I'm waiting for my Gen8 at the moment. I'm planning on loading Esxi onto it as I get ready for my VCP exam.

I'm used to much higher end servers so it seems a daft question but if I stick and 8GB UDIMM in the second slot will it come up with 10th? My original plan was to buy twi 8GBs but after splurging on a too good an offer for a pair of 4TB Reds I'm out of money. BUT I need to get the machine loaded up so I'm planning on a single 8 this month and then leave it a couple of months.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

ikon

I suspect you would get 10GB. You would not, however, get dual-channel. Also, you might want to wait on the RAM purchase and get a matched set of 8GB sticks. The RAM makers sell them in pairs for a reason.

Also, just a suggestion: don't make the same mistake another member just made. He got his MicroServer but never powered it up until he'd installed HDDs and extra RAM. My suggestion is to unbox it as soon as you get it, connect up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and power it up to make sure it's working out of the box.

schoondoggy

It should work, as long as it is a ECC UDIMM.

tangcla

I'm running an 8GB with the original 2GB as well, it works fine as 10GB of RAM.

carp969

Okay thanks people. Looking forward to getting it all up and running.

Tyler73

Hi,

First post here!

Got a gen8 microserver about 3 weeks ago and 8gb of hp smart memory pn# 647650-171, the bios shows 10240mb of memory but the main start screen and os only show 2041mb of ram!

Has anyone got an ideas what the problem is or if it has a way around?

I plan to use this server ashy main nas but as I plan to run zfs raidz I need to have access to the full 10gb of ram

ikon

It might be good to know which OS??

movedor

I finished setup of my G1610T Gen8 server and now I want to add more memory to it.

Just like carp969 I just want to add 8 GB module and end with 10 GB.

My understanding is that default memory in gen8 server is ECC non-registered 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800), right?

However I see people getting DDR3 1333 RAM in other threads in this forum. These RAM with different speed should not be used together, right?

So, the right memory to order in my case is DDR3 1600, for example KTH-PL316E/8G.

Also, there is something that confuses me is the specs for Intel Celeron G1610T says it handles memory DDR3 1333. Does it mean the memory in my server is actually operating at 1333 instead of 1600?

carp969

For completeness I installed a 8Gb UDIMM from mrmemory. It worked perfectly and Esxi reports 10GB.

tangcla

I finished setup of my G1610T Gen8 server and now I want to add more memory to it.

Just like carp969 I just want to add 8 GB module and end with 10 GB.

My understanding is that default memory in gen8 server is ECC non-registered 2GB DDR3 1600 (PC3-12800), right?

However I see people getting DDR3 1333 RAM in other threads in this forum. These RAM with different speed should not be used together, right?

So, the right memory to order in my case is DDR3 1600, for example KTH-PL316E/8G.

Also, there is something that confuses me is the specs for Intel Celeron G1610T says it handles memory DDR3 1333. Does it mean the memory in my server is actually operating at 1333 instead of 1600?

I'm using Kingston KTH-PL316E. Speeds need to be minimum 1333MHz, if you mix 1333 and 1600, it will run at the lowest common max speed of both (i.e. 1333MHz)