RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backing Up UEFI/GPT Partitions

Technogod

I have no idea if my System Partition is FAT32 -- it's whatever Win7 set it up to be during installation. I'm not home ATM, so I can't check, but if I get a chance later I will.

Does the tablet have a USB port? If so, you could use a USB NIC to get a wired connection. I have one for my Surface and it works really well.

I just checked my Win8.1 Surface. It does have 1 FAT32 partition, listed as System. When I'm back home I'll check which partitions I'm backing up to WHS2011. I believe I selected the option that allows for Bare Metal Restore, so I presume that includes the FAT32 partition.

It's a fair question. I just now had a chance to look at the WHS2011 backup profile for my Win8.1 Surface Pro. It didn't have one, which I didn't understand because it's been backing up since February (I checked the list of backups).

My only conclusion is that the upgrade from Win8 to 8.1 somehow wiped out the Connector installation of the SP. I'm reluctant to believe that, but I don't know what else to attribute it to. In any case, I've reinstalled the Connector and configure the backup to back up everything. It's at 29% as I write this, so we'll see. Stay tuned....

• 2 weeks later...

That backup completed successfully. I haven't had a chance to do much more on it because I've discovered an issue with my WHS2011 Server Backup -- I don't seem to be able to restore anymore. I was working with Carpediem on his WSB issues and discovered I have one too. Ya just never know how these forums are going to help you ;)

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
Joe_Miner

Great thread!  Thanks for the link iKon +1 -- I'm in the process of rebuilding Colossus and installing 8.1pro and wanted to back it up to my WHS2011 -- the Z77 is a UEFI/GPT but I thought I had the Hotfix installed but apparently not -- now I do and it all seems to be working well!