RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

AV on WHS

dvn

I've played with Avast on WHS. It has it's good points - central management of networked PC's being one. Very nice. But it occasionally classifies safe files, namely large ISO's, as 'compression bombs' and quarantines them. A bit annoying.

Anyways, I had just gotten done downloading the famous 'Eicar' test virus directly to my server when MSE running on my PC flagged it. Interesting, eh?

This makes me think that if I really wanted an AV on WHS, it might be wiser to use another product instead of duplicating efforts with MSE.

Is there anyway to put an exclusion class of file extensions in the scanning engine?

Now what would really be nice would be a home version of Forefront so just this purpose and it could also work with Small Business Server.

Microsoft....are you listening??????

I use the WHS version of Avast also and have not run into problems with ISO files. I only have it doing the real time scanning (to catch files as they hit the drive) and do not have the disk scanning feature turned on.

However, I have pretty much decided to move to MSE once my Avast license runs out.

I am in the same boat with you. The WHS version hasn't been updating the status of my clients
at all and with the demise of the 10 client version I am finished with them. Also of the opinion
that a different AV on the WHS, gives you a 2nd opinion as no client AV is perfect. ClamAV on the
WHS has been working okay, may do MSSE on the clients and Clam on the WHS, of course all free.

It always amazes me how much this topic surfaces. I wrote some about it back in July 2009 and we have talked about it on the show a ton. I am looking forward to an update to ClamAV (still running 1.7) with some added functionality, automatic updates being one of them. Also looking forward to a scheduler for scans.

• 2 weeks later...

I have continued using the Mcaffe that came with my h340.
I have never been a fan of mcaffe but I have had no issues and it integrates very nicely

Hey Luke.

The H340 came with McAfee? Wow, I do not remember that; I must've uninstalled it almost immediately :)

As a fellow H340 user, I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. have you turned the chassis fan around so it blows the opposite way from stock? If so, what results have you had?

2. have you built or bought a vga adapter so you can boot into the BIOS of the H340? If so, do you have any ideas/advice about doing it?

3. have you tried to use the eSATA port yet? If so, did it work for you? If it didn't, I may be able to help.

Also, you may or may not be aware that the eSATA port on the H340 is not port multiplier aware :P To fix this I bought an inexpensive Silicon Image 3132 based, half height, PCIe card and installed it into my H340. I have a Mediasonic ProBox external SATA enclosure attached to 1 of the 2 eSATA ports, with four 1 TB Wb!002fbys drives in it. I use this to back up the WHS data drive every night via a scheduled RoboCopy task.

thanks ikon, that is good info.
Unfortunately I have not done any of the three things above, I try to keep it all very standard