RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Joshua B

My Windows 7 HTPC with Storage

ikon

^^ What he said. IIS does not require a domain.

Joshua B

Ok,then would you help me understand what this last part of the tutorial would mean?

"Once you've done this, you should be able to go to "https://mydomain.com/subsonic" and actually get your subsonic page."

ikon

Ah. that's for connecting to your SubSonic page from the Internet. Kind of a different topic; more to do with routers and port forwarding, etc. For the moment, when trying to connect using a computer on your home LAN, just replace mydomain.com with the name or IP address of your IIS server.

Joshua B

Ok. Well, I went through the tutorial and did the installation, but I couldn't quickly understand how it enabled one port to be opened vs. opening ports for the different applications. Maybe the writer could have provided a bit more context and explanation. I just uninstalled and things are fine for me. I have my selected ports open that I need, which aren't many.

jmwills

If ports were opened on your router via another program, it means you have UPnP enabled which is not advisable.

Joshua B

No JM, incorrect assumption.

UPnP is disabled on my router. I open needed ports manually, via router admin.

ikon

Good to hear you have Universal Plug N Pray disabled :)

hoorah

When you say 'old creative soundcard' how old are you talking?  I have quite a few older Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and similar cards that I thought had no drivers for Windows 7 and thus didn't use them.

Also, with the bitstreaming audio to the reciever, does the receiver have to be on all the time to play audio?  Or does it pass through audio to the TV and play 2 channel sound if the receiver is not turned on?

That was my biggests problem with home theater audio with the HTPC.  I could get the audio to bitstream to the reciever but everyone else in the house (and guests) had trouble with the concept of 'this box does the audio' and thus was always complaining there was no sound.

awraynor

He has DrivePool on it, so it looks to be a file server too. And with Subsonic.... yeah. "All in one Media server". :)

Also, I see StableBit DrivePool, but (i'm sorry for the completely shameless self promotion here) I see you don't have StableBit Scanner. If you have both installed, it installs a balancer for DrivePool that can evacuate a damaged/failing drive to help prevent data loss.  And considering you can get a $9.95 discount, as you already own DrivePool (at least that's what I'm assuming).

Also, since you're running a bunch of web services... have you considered setting up IIS and using a reverse proxy to "host" all your services on one URL? 

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/98-configure-iis-for-reverse-proxy/

That way, you only need to open one port, instead of one for subsonic, sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, (and I suspect a couple of others, but I'm not sure). 

:)

Don't apologize for the self-promotion. DrivePool has worked flawlessly in my 2011 box and made it so much more usable. Working towards killing Storage Spaces in my Win8.1 box and putting it on DrivePool too.

Drashna Jaelre

Don't apologize for the self-promotion. DrivePool has worked flawlessly in my 2011 box and made it so much more usable. Working towards killing Storage Spaces in my Win8.1 box and putting it on DrivePool too.

Oh, I'm not. I just want to make sure people know that I'm biased. I mean, for other than the fact that it is a great product :)