MPC-HC

XnViewMP

Album Player

Subsonic

Stream to Me

SABnzbd

Sick Beard

Couch Potato

Next up will be (2) 4 TB portable hard drives that I'll swap every month (off-site) and Crash Plan to back up two other PCs on Gigabit Ethernet.

Thanks to some of you who suggested hardware in other topics. I took your suggestions on much of my choices. I think I bought some great stuff and I love the speed of this machine.

Let me know if you have any questions.

jb-pc01.jpg

jb-pc02.jpg

Joshua B

For the first time in my HTPC computing history, I'm bitstreaming multi channel audio into my 5.1 receiver. The formats are being recognized and displayed!

You can see in the list I had to use an old Creative card because I was having trouble with the on board audio via HDMI. No longer thanks to tweaks posted at the avs forum.

schoondoggy

Good to hear.

There seems to be demand for some of the older audio cards for video and audio streaming.

Are you using the TOSlink connection?

Jason

Isn't that overkill for a HTPC? Or is it a server?

Drashna Jaelre

He has DrivePool on it, so it looks to be a file server too. And with Subsonic.... yeah. "All in one Media server". :)

Also, I see StableBit DrivePool, but (i'm sorry for the completely shameless self promotion here) I see you don't have StableBit Scanner. If you have both installed, it installs a balancer for DrivePool that can evacuate a damaged/failing drive to help prevent data loss.  And considering you can get a $9.95 discount, as you already own DrivePool (at least that's what I'm assuming).

Also, since you're running a bunch of web services... have you considered setting up IIS and using a reverse proxy to "host" all your services on one URL? 

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/98-configure-iis-for-reverse-proxy/

That way, you only need to open one port, instead of one for subsonic, sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, (and I suspect a couple of others, but I'm not sure). 

:)

Joshua B

Good to hear.

There seems to be demand for some of the older audio cards for video and audio streaming.

Are you using the TOSlink connection?

When I first set up the machine, integrated HDMI audio was giving me common problems that you read about from other HTPC users, like no audio from certain programs or only 2 channel audio. I finally ended up putting in an old Creative soundcard with TOSLINK out. Then I tried out Media Portal and it installed the LAV filters. I configured them in MPC-HT with a tutorial on AVS forums and got multichannel audio from everything that was supposed to have it.

Last night I re-enabled the integrated audio and disabled the Creative card. Now I'm bitstreaming audio through the HDMI connection!

Joshua B

Jason, Christopher (Drashna) is right, I'm also serving files with this machine. It replaced a P4 WHS V1 and a Core 2 Duo HTPC. Now only one "always on" computer.

My wife and I listen to FLAC music that's stored on the machine through our Android phones in the car using Subsonic. She streams videos on her iPad using StreamToMe.

Christopher, I listened to the last CoveCube interview with Dave on HSS before I decided on DrivePool. Yes, I paid for a license just two days after installing it since it forced me to even though in the window it said I had 29 days left on my trial. Am definitely considering Scanner.

Never heard of IIS but I'm very interested! Will check it out after posting. Opening just one port would be awesome.

With other questionable programs do you think I might be running? ;-) Haven't installed a bit torrent client yet. That's usually my last resort. SSL usenet is my first choice.

Edited by Joshua B

ikon

IIS is Internet Information Server, the standard Web Server that Microsoft supplies with every version of Windows Server and, I believe, still some versions of the desktop OS'.

Joshua B
Also, since you're running a bunch of web services... have you considered setting up IIS and using a reverse proxy to "host" all your services on one URL? 

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/tutorials/article/98-configure-iis-for-reverse-proxy/

That way, you only need to open one port, instead of one for subsonic, sabnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato, (and I suspect a couple of others, but I'm not sure). 

:)

These directions assume your network is part of a domain, correct? I have never set up a domain for my network. I don't know how to go about it or what are the advantages.

Drashna Jaelre

Absolutely not. 

It works for WHS2011 (which is was originally written on), and works for ... well any version of IIS that is "current" (7 and up, so Vista+)