RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Is Cyber Monday a dieing fad?

Dave

It already seems that Thanksgiving was weeks ago and I wake up to an inbox full of "Cyber Monday" deals.  As much as I shop online I'm thinking this Cyber Monday thing is a passing fad.  How about you?

On the other hand, there is a woot off going on over at http://woot.com

I've never thought the deals on Cyber-Monday were all that great.  I did find a couple I'm going for today, but nothing jaw-dropping or that I wouldn't see other times of the year.

On the other hand, I do think the backlash against the Black Friday creeping into Thanksgiving is underway.  There were lots of headlines and blog posts this year about killing Thanksgiving, and employees forced to miss it so the stores could be open all day.

I thought Cyber Monday came about because most people didn't have a high speed internet connection at home (we were still all using dial-up service).  People would return to work from being off for the long Thanksgiving holiday and start buying off the web using their company high speed connection.  Of course the online retailers noticed the up tick in on-line shopping on this particular monday so Cyber Monday was created.  Fast forward to today and everyone has internet access at home (or anywhere we go with our phones and tablets).  Cyber Monday is basically useless new.  The fact is that on-line retailers had to start participating in Black Friday too or they would miss out on some of the consumer money being spent.

Black Friday vs Thanksgiving day....I have a feeling that the open on Thanksgiving Day debate may be over after this year.  I am willing to bet that the cost to be open on Thanksgiving was not offset by increased sales.  In fact I thought I heard that Black Friday was down 13% but combine it with Thanksgiving then its' up 2%.  Not sure it wouldn't have been up 2% if it was only a Friday event.

Regarding employees not being able to spend time with their families.  I have no comment either way.  My wife is a nurse.  She has to work some holidays.  So do police, fire, EMS, doctors, gas station attendants, etc.  It's the world we have created.  Years ago you couldn't find a store open on a Sunday but they all seem to be now.

Good points.  Police/fire/ems/hospitals have always had to be there 24/7.  I used to be a LEO and had to work holiday shifts.  Also when I was in the Coast Guard I was usually either on-call or on-duty.  For some entities, it's necessary.

I don't apply the same standard to retail stores -- they don't have to be open all the time, and in cases like this it just looks greedy to me. 

This year there was one grocery store near me open for part of Thanksgiving, but all employees working that day volunteered to do so and got time-and-a-half pay.  I guess I'm ok with that, but less ok with the ones forcing their employees to work and no extra pay.

I was getting buy online now emails all day thanksgiving. With all the off-shoring corp America is doing it has little effect on people spending time with family. That is if there are any American IT employees working for these companies.

If they relied on me for sales this year, they all went belly up.  $0

Same here.  My wife is still looking for a job after we moved so no extra cash right now.

If they relied on me for sales this year, they all went belly up. $0

Same here I couldn't find anything I wanted.

Sent from my Lumia 928 using Tapatalk

cskenney, you nailed it about how Cyber Monday got started.... I remember it.

Fortunately for Canadians, our Thanksgiving is in October, so we don't have to worry about Black Friday interfering with it. :)