RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

new to the microserver

ultra99

Hi guys, I just bought the Microserver N54L. I was wondering if which hard drives should I get? I read around here that WD Red is ultimately recommended. Amazon has a deal that'll end in less than 1 hr for 3TB. Should I get that? I initially thought of 2x2TB as the specs say max 8TB (4x2TB).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008JJLW4M/ref=s9_bbs_gw_d0_g147_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-8&pf_rd_r=124JE2ZJ86BFJZC8YAE1&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1630072282&pf_rd_i=507846

40 min left!

Hard drive brand is a personal preference.  Some will tell you not to spend the extra money on the WD Reds.  Others will say they have good luck with the Seagate drives.  It's really comes down to your personal experience and preferences.

Thanks for the reply! What if I don't have a preference, as all this is new to me? I know that WD Reds are more expensive than the Blue/Green and other brands, but I like to take recommendations from experts/pros.

If you want an opinion, then buy the Reds. They are fast, run cool, and are designed for always on scenarios. And when necessary, Western Digital does RMAs very nicely. </opinion>

I've had good luck so far for about a year using second-hand laptop hard drives from ebay, for a 4 slot enclosure in the DVD bay. Each 1TB drive cost about £20. Only one of them is slow as it doesn't have NCQ - upgrade due soon. It helps to have a proper RAID card rather than the on-board 'controller', though.