RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

uTorrent as a service (WSE12)?

Jason

I currently have utorrent installed under my primary WSE12R1 admin account.  I realize this isn't a security best practice and am wanting to refine this.  How are other users running utorrent on their systems?  Am running an old version of utorrent 2.0.4.  Thanks.

What possible concern could you have running uTorrent as a server admin?

Ack.

I'd strongly suggest a VM dedicated to running applications like this. I have a number of Win7/8 and linux VMs do do similar functions (newsgroup downloads, Plex server, Miencraft server, AirVideo server, etc) so at worst they blow up one instance instead of my server. Where necessary I can reach down into that VM from another VM (Server 2012 essentials) to extract and save the file. However none of the applications on those VMs are running under either a server nor VM OS admin account.

If your eally want to run it as a service, there are a number of third-party (and even quasi-supported MS ways) to run an executable as a service. FireDaemon and SrvStart (http://www.howtogeek.com/50786/) come to mind. There is a paid program I've tried called AlwaysUp which did a great job, but it isn't free.

Run it as a task on startup and use the webui..

Don't really need to run it as a service..

Will it run without a logged in desktop to run on?

No. Not placed in startup as that is user-dependant and requires a user to log on before run.

I've seen created a scheduled task to run utorrent on WSE12 system startup and can logout of my RDP session and it stays running. Can also access via the web GUI remotely. Working as expected.

I've seen created a scheduled task to run utorrent on WSE12 system startup and can logout of my RDP session and it stays running. Can also access via the web GUI remotely. Working as expected.

Closing/logging off an RDP session does not explicitly log the user off. Any applications that were running when log on to remote desktop will remain running. If you mean you are logged in as a terminal service and log the user off, that is different and should end the application.

Either way, it still requires someone to log on initially to run. If you want something to run without a user having to log on it must be running as a service.

I've found this not to be the case on my WSE12 box. With utorrent setup as a scheduled task to start on system startup, it starts on OS boot without requiring a login. I can then RDP into box And ALT-CTRL-END to sign out and the scheduled task remains running. Same benefit as a service it seems without being one.

Works fine on my system

Have task manager start the task on system startup.. Don't have to be logged in at all to work, use the webui or remote to use it..