RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen7 N54L: Long bootime with 4 HDs under Win Server 2012 R2

milon

Hello,

I have a strange problem with the HP Microserver N54L and boot up times under Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (available for me over Dreamspark).

Some background information: I have 4 drives (2*4TB, 2*1,5TB) installed within the normal bays and one SSD and HDD in the ODD bay connected to ASUS U3S6 card; a RAC card is also installed. The boot up times for Windows Server 2012 were just fine, around 20 sec.

To install 2012 R2 I updated the bios (for the NIC problem) and installed 2012 R2. Now boot up times are over 2 minutes (the system just hangs at the boot screen with the circle going one round after the other). I tested some other hardware configurations. The results are:

• Disable NIC within the device manger under 2012 R2: Boot up time is normal with 20 seconds
  • Enable NIC again, but put only the first HDD into the first normal bay and remove the other 3: Boot up time is normal with 20 seconds
  • Enable NIC again, but put only the first 2 HDD into the first and second normal bay and remove the other 2: Boot up time is around 1 minute
  • Enable NIC again, continue to add the others HDDs into the normal bay one after the other: Boot up time goes stepwise up to over 2 minutes as I wrote above

The HDDs are just fine, I tested them separately in the first bay with the result of 20 sec boot up time. 

I also tested it with the standard driver 2012 R2 installs for the NIC during a fresh install and also with the newest broadcom driver. Same result as above.

I tried a boot analysis/log (enabled it within msconfig), but this gives me only a txt file containing all drivers which are loaded during boot. But no information about the durations to load each driver.

Has anybody an idea how to solve this problem or to figure out where this problem lies?

Regards

milon

Edited by milon

I do not have a U3S6 card.

Try connecting you boot drive, the SSD I presume to the motherboards SATA and set the speed in the BIOS to 3 and that it boots from the SSD.

I do not have a U3S6 card.

Try connecting you boot drive, the SSD I presume to the motherboards SATA and set the speed in the BIOS to 3 and that it boots from the SSD.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think it will make a different. As I wrote the server starts just fine from the SSD in the ODD Bay connected to the U3S6 card (with Sata III) and only one additional HDD in the normal bay. If I connect the SSD to the onboard Sata port I have only Sata II (or 1?) and the rest is the same. By the way I don't have an option in the Bios to control the speed of the Sata ports.

I think the problem must be some interaction between the NIC and maybe the controller for the mini SAS with some strange behavior of new drivers in 2012 R2 (because under 2012 everything worked fine).

Regards milon