RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dual NICs, Hyper-V and Anywhere Access?

Jason

Is there a guide by chance that documents how to enable dual NICs with WSE12R2 dedicating one exclusively to the Hyper-V role with Anywhere Access enabled? Tried this a few times only to find the following failures:

- install with single NIC enabled

- enable Anywhere Access

- enable second NIC after install, install NIC #2 driver

- appears to break Anywhere Access

- install hyper-v role designating NIC #2 as dedicated to hyper-v

- hyper-v VMs able to access the internet on dedicated NIC #2

- Anywhere Access not functional

- Attempt to configure/repair Anywhere Access fails

-reinstall WSE12R2 OS to start over. Otherwise config changes have occurred that do not appear able to be undone

I assume this works when you have only one NIC installed? I ask because I didn't see that step above, and I am able to dedicate one NIC to server mgmnt and one to Hyper-V and my 2012 essentials does use it and can use Anywhere Acess. However, I am runnign2012 Essentials as aVM on Server 2008R2, not as a role on Server 2012 so the use of it as a VM means the VM only sees the one (virtual) NIC rather than the two the role might see.

This surprises me if you have one NIC dedicated to VMs, as typically you can't access that NIC via networking tools from the server OS once it is dedicated, and the server itself won't atempt to process IP traffic over it.

Correct. If essentials is installed as a role as it is with R2, I'm only able to use Anywhere Access with a single NIC enabled. It's as if the second II enable to second NIC settings that previously worked no longer so. Incredibly frustrating. As a result I've reverted back to R1.

• 3 weeks later...

This will work with two nics as you are trying to do as long as you assign both nics a static ip address in your router. ie: nic1 static of 192.168.1.2 and dedicate it to your server (port forward all needed/required server ports to this ip address - including you any where access domain of www.servername.remotewebaccess.com). Then nic2 gets a static ip of 192.168.1.3 and you set it up (bind it to) your hyper-v virtual switch (set it for external connections and allow management operation system to share the adapter).

• Like 1

Gapazz, is it necessary to enable a single NIC on motherboard, assign it a static IP and complete the Anywhere Access setup before even enabling NIC #2? Wasn't sure how the Anywhere Access/VPN setup even knows which IP to bind VPN to? Thanks.

I got this working on my server (installed last night).

In fact, I have three NICs. One devoted to hyperV, and two teamed. 

I set up Anywhere access first, then installed the NICs (didn't break anything). Teamed the two new ones, and set it up for "primary access" (static IP) to the server. Then I installed the hyperV role, and set the onboard NIC to be used by hyperV (unchecked teh "Allow OS to manage NIC" option).

I've rebooted a few times, and the site hasn't errored out or given me any warnings.

• Like 1

Jason,

I set the onboard nic to a static ip address in my router by it's mac address first, then set up the anywhere access using that ip address. I set my router to port forward

all required ports for the server to send to the static ip of the on board nic. Ie: port 80, 443 ect all go to the static on board nic. I then installed a wireless nic (doesn't

have to be wireless, was just what I had laying around) and assigned it a different static ip than the on board nic. Again I did this trough my router via the wireless

nic mac address. Then I installed the hyper-V role and after that set up the hyper-v virtual switch and bond it to the wireless nic.  In setting this switch up I checked the option to allow access through the management os. The reason I did this was because I could not get the vm,s to see the internet without that option checked. So for

I have had no problems. Everything meant for the sever has been routed to the onboard nic and everything for the vm's are going through the wireless nic.

I hope this explains it a little better.

I set up Anywhere access first, then installed the NICs (didn't break anything).

Didn't realize you can setup Anywhere Access without a single NIC activated in the system?

Great info. If ever in future I have a reason to reinstall my WSE12 server, I will revisit WSE12R2. Maybe after a few update rollups. The only feature I'd benefit from over R1 is Hyper-V. Not in the mood to add VMWare to my R1 install.