RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server Upgrade advice

CablDeViL

I am building a new i7 box for myself to edit hd video of my son when he is born next month. As always I "hand me down" my hardware to the server.

My current computer I use to work with is a quad core amd and a asus mobo. I would like to migrate that to my current whs that is a dual core.

My question is what is the best way to install the new cpu/mobo and not kill my server or all my pictures/video and such. I know numbering the drives and what sata ports they hold will be very important to the pool. But I dont want to dive in with out being fully covered.

Thank You.

BDBB and server backups to a backup drive or two. <--That's your insurance policy.

Then do a Server Restore with your pooled drives attached.

You mentioned upgrade Is is safe to assume that you just want to upgrade your hardware? If so, after you back up you mifght to just transfer the hardware over and let the drivers re-detect. As long as it is a similar chipset it should work, at least it has for me a couple of times.

Thank you guys for the advice. I guess I will have to get 3 tera of usb drives to run the back up of the shares. Just to be on the safe side.

Normally I just toss the hardware in and prey, but with WHS I have way to much info I dont want to loose.

Next question, On the current mobo I have 4 sata ports used on the mobo and 2 used on a pci card. If I am not mistaken I MUST make sure the pool drives go into the new mobo (has 8 sata ports on board) with the same order?

Thank You

I have switched the order of drives before with no problems EXCEPT the primary drive has to be the firt drive physically and in your BIOS.

I've also pulled a pool drive out of my MSS while powered off and reinserted it in a different bay. No problem.

Yes, and just to double-check myself, I swapped a pooled drive to another bay in my EX495 and and fired it back up. No problems. Verified. ;-)

*Not precisely sure, but I think it may have taken a little a bit longer to boot that first time.

Good luck.