RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Now Available From Mac/iOS/Android/Windows RT

TheOfficeMaven

Disclaimer: This message contains content about paid add-ins written by me.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let folks know that I have released new versions of all my add-ins with a great new feature that now allows you to connect to them from Mac, iOS, Android, and Windows RT computers or devices.

Basically, with the new versions of my add-ins, your server becomes a RemoteApp and Desktop Connections (RADC) web feed server that can serve up remote resources to any RADC client, including the new Microsoft Remote Desktop clients that are available for Mac, iOS, and Android.

To enable the RADC web feed on your server, open the Dashboard, go to the add-in's page/tab, and click on the new "Enable RADC" task (note that the task will only appear once the add-in has been licensed/registered):

RADC_15.png

RADC_16.png

Once the RADC web feed has been enabled on the server, fire up the Microsoft Remote Desktop client on your Mac, iOS, or Android computer or device, and enter in the connection URL (provided by my add-in) into the "Remote Resources" section of the MRD client. After that, you're ready to connect to my add-in from your preferred computer or device.

Here are some screenshots taken from an Android tablet:

RADC_01.png

RADC_02.png

RADC_03.png

RADC_04.png

RADC_05.png

I hope that everyone enjoys the new feature, and have fun connecting to your favorite applications from all of your computers and devices.

Mike Craven (The Office Maven)

Hi John,

Glad to hear that you are getting your hands dirty with the new RADC web feed feature. :D Please do let me know how it goes for you on the Mac and Android.

BTW, since you had a pre-release build, be sure that you re-enable/update the RADC web feed on your server by clicking on the "Enable RADC" tasks again once you install the new build (i.e. Version 1.83.830.830). I made some changes to the web feed since the version you had, and so you need to update the resources in order to get the new stuff.

-- MIKE

Ok, 1st impression of WHSoffice on a Nexus 7. It's best to have the WHS Office Launcher open to full screen since it's a 7" device. Outlook 2013 opens to full screen by default so that's good. Navigation is not what I expected, I get a mouse cursor that's not centered on my finger so it's not pointing where I am. This makes it messy trying to go into corners or edges to scroll. Pinch to zoom works and is needed on the 7" device because the font is small. Navigation looks like it would be best with a mouse.

Setup was easy.

I'll try the MacBook next.

Hi John,

The Launcher window, as well as the individual application windows "should" retain their last used size and position just as all RemoteApps typically do (if not, I'll take a look and see if there's something I can do about it). As for the navigation behavior not being what you expected... I'm afraid that there's not much I can do about that one as it's completely controlled by the Microsoft Remote Desktop client, and has nothing at all to do with my add-in. BTW, I too found the UI a bit cumbersome to move about in, but that's pretty much par for the course on all tablet and phone UIs as far as I'm concerned (i.e. if you want to get "real" work done, use a PC and not an overpriced toy. :P).

I know that Microsoft just released new versions of all of their clients a few days ago (which before that couldn't even pinch to zoom), and so they are definitely working on them. I'm sure they'll get better with a bit of time.

-- MIKE

• 3 weeks later...

Just as an FYI... I deleted my (long) post that talked about using the "external access" resources in the new RADC web feed feature of my add-ins because I have just released newer versions (1.89.891.891) that made the post irrelevant. The RADC web feed feature in the new versions of my add-ins now allows the "external access" resources to work with the server's highly secure Remote Desktop Gateway under Windows Small Business Server 2011 Essentials, Windows Server 2012 Essentials, and Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials (or Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard with WSEE).

Unfortunately, Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials can't use the server's RD Gateway for external Remote Desktop connections (due to the RD Gateway using customized authentication and authorization plug-ins), and so those operating systems will still require you to forward TCP/UDP port 3389 to the server's private/internal IP address in order to use the "external access" resources. If you're interested, you can read all of the details in this new post I put up over on my website:

Connecting From Mac/iOS/Android/Windows RT

Additionally, the new versions of my add-ins that are for use on the Windows Server 2012 R2 platform now include a feature that allows you to "shadow" (i.e. remote control) any user's connected remote session straight from the server Dashboard. With the new "shadow" feature, you can view (i.e. spy) on your user's remote sessions, or you can physically take control of their remote session should they happen to need help setting something up, figuring something out, etc.

-- MIKE

As a follow up post...

I have now managed to figure out how to get the Remote Desktop Gateway working with external access connections under Windows Home Server 2011 and Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Essentials (both domain joined and stand-alone), and so you can now make highly secure connections to your server from the new RADC web feeds feature in all of my add-ins WITHOUT needing to forward RDP port number 3389 through your router. Whew!

In the new versions of all of my WHS-based add-ins, that were just released today (Version 1.90.901.901), you now get a prompt asking you if you would like to configure the Remote Desktop Gateway for making secure remote connections with the server whenever you enable (or update) the RADC web feeds. If you answer Yes to the prompt, the RD Gateway is automatically configured to allow the external access. If you answer No to the prompt, the RD Gateway will remain unchanged from default, or if you have previously configured the RD Gateway for external access, then it will be completely restored back to its default out-of-the-box configuration.

I hope that everyone finds the new versions useful as it took an unbelievable amount of work for me to figure all of this stuff out and implement it programmatically. I think I now know more about RD Gateways than any one person should ever be so inclined to know. :D

-- MIKE

Edited by TheOfficeMaven