RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
AdrianLodge

Mirroring C (OS) Drive

AdrianLodge

I've read mixed answers to similar questions, so hoped you might be able to help -

I have WHS2011 on an HP Microserver.

The OS is installed on the C Drive, Disk 0, 250 Mb (hopefully there's an attached image for clarity).

I would like to mirror the OS drive to a second drive, Disk 2, 250Mb.

I have read that this is a). possible, B). not possible, c), not a good idea.

If I try to mirror the disk, or the partition, I get a warning that it needs to be converted to a Dynamic Disk followed by a scary warning "After you convert these disks to dynamic, you will not be able to start installed operating systems from any volumes on these disks (except the current boot volume)."

So, what will happen if I proceed? If I convert Drive 0 (C Drive, OS) to dynamic will the server still boot?

thanks in advance.

Adrian

Disk Management.jpg

jmwills

Possible, yes and not a bad idea.  You will never lose the OS unless you lose both disks.

If you plan to mirror the OS to what you have labeled as Disk #2, you will lost the data on the drive.

pcdoc

One thing to remember when mirroring the OS drive is you have to mirror each partition in order otherwise you will have issues.  I would delete the partition on Disk 2, then mirror the 100 meg, then C drive.  It works well for me and I have done this on both of my servers.

AdrianLodge

The partition on Disk 2 was automatically created by WHS as I was going to resort to backing up Disk 0 , as I was unsure about mirroring. So, no problem deleting it.

What about the warning message when converting to Dynamic, can I ignore it?

Do I have to mirror the partitions separately, or can I do the whole drive in one (right click "Disk 0" - it gives me the option, but I didn't want to progress through the "Dynamic warning".

ikon

Since no one has mentioned it yet, you could use Windows Server Backup to make a backup of your current OS drive, install another 250GB drive for the mirror, use the BIOS to mirror the 2 drives, then restore the server backup to the mirror set.

This has pros and cons. It gives some redundancy for the OS and is transparent to the OS. OTOH, if you want to move the drives to another mobo you may have issues because the BIOS RAID could easily be different on the 2nd mobo. This is not a major issue IMHO because, if I'm moving my OS to another mobo, I pretty much want to do a fresh OS install anyway.

AdrianLodge

My real concern was the message about not being able to boot after converting to a dynamic disk.

I bit the bullet and converted and then mirrored the drive and all seems ok, although I haven't tried rebooting yet.

Just to confirm that I had to do the two partitions separately though.

thanks everyone for your input.

ikon

I've done that technique too in the past. It survived reboots just fine, but I'm not certain about how good the mirroring is when done that way. For example, if 1 drive dies and is replaced, will everything really still work properly? I have done it with BIOS mirroring and I know that does work, just not certain about SW mirroring the OS in Windows.