RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant MicroServer G7 N54L (704941-421) - new drives?

tekguru

Had a bit of a shock tonight when the server advised that the backup service on the server itself  was unable to run. One reboot later and I was advised one of the HDs had failed.

I re-seated both drives and so far all looks to be working.

However......... once bitten....

The drives in it are 2 x 2TB Hitachi HDS722020ALA33 drives which are a fair few (8-10) years old.

So suggestions for replacements for both drives? The server is run at home so not classed as commercial use, but it does hold the backups for the main PC / Laptop in the house.

Cost v quietness v quality are important.

So suggestions please :)

Oh drive bays are used for:

1. Main OS
  2. 2 TB Pool
  3. 2 TB Pool
  4. 512Gb drive used as a system backup drive
Edited by tekguru

They are that good?

Wondering whether to buy 3 x 2TB and use redundancy on the drives and forget about server backup.

Thoughts?

IMO, for what you are going to be using the Drives for, yes they are that good.  The Red series was designed for NAS type storage and data retention.

What kind of redundancy were you thinking of using with three drives?

I've honestly no ideas yet, Id not got that far with my thinking :) I had thought that storage spaces could bring in resiliency if three drives were used?

IMO, for what you are going to be using the Drives for, yes they are that good.  The Red series was designed for NAS type storage and data retention.

Fairy nuff I'll aim to get purchase approval for those then. Mind you since reseating the drive no more errors are showing so I'm hoping I can put off the purchase a little longer.

Okay the other half has agreed to fund half the price of the drives from the family fund instead of my gadget fund :)

So am I better getting 3 drives and configuring the pool for redundancy and dropping the server backup, or just getting the two drives and having the server backup?

Any recommendations on configuration?

And yes if I had the money the boot drive would be a SSD in the top tray, 3 drives for the pool and one for backup but that alas is out of scope!

If any storage maestro could recommend it'd be appreciated as then I can purchase on Monday.

Oh and I assume (dangerous) that to swap the drives out I can just delete the existing pool, remove the drives, add the new ones, format and create a new pool, reconfigure backup and that's it?