RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
nleistad

Drank the Synology koolaid, own a DS414

nleistad

This may belong in the Synology subform, but it's NAS related too, so.....

Add another Synology owner to the list since the MeetUp2013. It's running, quietly, from the shelf where the router sits, FreeNAS sits, etc, etc.

The goal was structured backup, music library, private cloud; the hope was for simplicity and EASE of use. I've done Amahi, FreeNAS, SAMBA, Owncloud, Server2012E (started at least) ....... , we'll see how it goes.

My first impression was "the box is pretty light"? followed by "hmmph, $500 for plastic, really?" I'm going to try and get over that, I can still imagine that place in the future where this all just works; pics, docs, music, video, all safely stored and then replicated, just working. I've done stuff the hard way long enough that I'm hoping I can just go w/ the flow and this will come together. Hope to evenutally even add the NVR for a couple of cameras.

A career of running lots of open source has me kind of hindered when it comes to accepting some of the licensing (per Camera?) and pricing (DSM is pretty much linux, polished linux, which I assume is the reason for the steep pricing on the plastic). 

Initial impressions, subject to change with some effort to "learn" my new system.

It's backing up quite nicely btw, so did the FreeNAS, but this is new. :-)

BSR

Congratulations, and welcome to the cult...er...club!  I'll have your robe and a box of the special food we Synologists eat sent right over.  :P

texasPI

I'm thinking of drinking the koolaid, too. I've got an unRAID box and WHS 2011. I'm wanting to consolidate them into one Synology box. I've added two Macs since I put unRAID and WHS together and I'm looking at Synology for Time Machine support.

Does Synology support a way to do bare metal backups/restore in someway like WHS for windows?

Edited by texasPI

BSR

Funny you should ask!  Having left the WHS club, I am currently researching several backup programs to see if I can accomplish something approximating bare-metal-backup/restore on my Synology.

I'm testing the following solutions:  Macrium Reflect, Acronis TrueImage,  DriveImage XML, Paragon, & ShadowProtect. 

It's going slowly (holidays, travel, and some unexpected family issues aren't helping) but I hope to be mostly finished sometime in January.  I am mainly trying to find a solution that works for my family, but will be glad to share my experiences and findings with the HSS community when I'm done.

ikon

It will be interesting to see what you find out. There are a lot of backup solutions out there, but I haven't found one that's as slick as WHS. For $50 it's worth running WHS2011 just for backup. 'Course, it doesn't run under any *ix, so there is that.

BSR

Agreed.  I can guarantee it won't be quite as "set and forget" as WHS, but I think I can get close.  The hard part seems to be a bootable recovery CD/DVD/USB that can attach to iSCSI.

nleistad

Bare-metal backup SHOULD be on my list, but I've found so many other things to play with that that's moved down the priority list.

I have to say that I like this box more and more every day.

I've got it backing up my Windows PC every day. I have been a DropBox user for quite some time, but CloudStation is quickly becoming my preferred "Shared Store". The DropBox folder hasn't seen new files since getting CloudStation configured. I'm not sure if the mobile client works as well, but I've switched from iPhone to Galaxy S4 just before the DiskStation showed up so I'm still working on that.

Over the summer we remodeled the the kitchen and other attached rooms got drug along. My stereo speakers didn't pass the cut as nice furniture and had to be relegated elsewhere. I picked up a couple of Play-1 speakers from Sonos (these are quite cool, but it's something like a free razor handle -- just buy more blades). The DiskStation audio app feeds them nicely and I'm busy running new rips of all the old CDs building a music library again. I also picked up on the fact that the Sonos can play Audible content (also stored on the Synology). That makes for additional happiness in the household.

An old Intel SS4000 NAS gave up it's hard drives to a FreeNAS box I wanted to experiment with and I felt a little guilty buying the Synology, but I've now got the Synology backing up to the FreeNAS box on a daily basis. It's always so easy to just dump stuff on the Synology and then realize that your data is STILL at risk.

Oh, BTW, picture libraries are migrating to the unit as well and the PhotoStation app works fine on numerous tablets, phones, and PC's that have the quick connect code configured.

I'm currently working on getting the DiskStation to start serving as my email archive so I can abandon gmail. Not that I don't like it, but I'm really wanting to move to maintaining my OWN cloud and hope to stop using the numerous public cloud services soon, hopefully be this summer. Definitely by next meetup.

Well, a rather long brain dump for one who's generally more quiet. I'll update again as I iron out more wrinkles; there really are very few, but I keep coming up with more options in my quest to "implement fully". Gotta say THANKS DAVE!! for your enthusiasm and Thanks Synology for a NICE product. I generally want to "build" rather than buy, but this purchase has been a great one.

ikon

Have you decided on a mail server?

nleistad

playing w/ the client and server on the Synology. Run posfix /dovecot / squirrelmail at work, so figuring out what is built-in to the DiskStation taking me a little time to get used to. Just using the MailStation and pointing back to existing server working for the moment. Just started implementing this today, so I'm still a bit green.

If I can get this working the way I'd like, I'm pretty sure I can recommend Synology for a lot of folks I know that archive mail "for life"....

ikon

A few years ago I did some significant research on email servers. I tried quite a few; finally settled on Ability Mail Server from Code Crafters. It's not perfect, but I've found it to be really good for my needs. One thing I really like about it is I can move the entire post office to another computer simply by copying the Ability Mail folder over and starting the application. It has its own, built in web server, so I can get email from anywhere. My Windows Phone also links to it.