RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Simcheck

RR 2720SGL Drive Replacement Procedure

jmwills

Lower Alabama?

Simcheck

B)  Close... Lake Arrowhead - PCDOC knows the area...

Simcheck

Quick update -

I went through Mike's video's didn't see anything that really helped. Agree the key is to get the existing RAID off of Disabled status. I may just have to bite the bullet and redo the entire array. I have docs and pix backed up to cloud but lots of video's with no backup. Would need to re download and / or re rip. Certainly doable but a real pain.

One thing I did notice is I am starting to get bad sectors on one of the other drives ugh... If that goes then I think it is game over anyway...

I'll keep plugging away and if anyone thinks of anything else to try don't be shy!!

jmwills

Start copying.

ikon

OK, 2 things:

1. with many Raid controllers, if you remove the drives from an array and then add them back, the card will detect the existing array and retain it. Not sure if this is true of RR cards.

2. I think your original mistake was disabling Auto-rebuild. In my experience, you leave Auto-rebuild enabled. When a drive goes bad, you shut down the machine (assuming Hot Swap is not available), remove the bad drive, put in the replacement drive, and boot up. The card then automatically detects the new drive and begins a rebuild without any interaction on your part.