RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
Simcheck

RR 2720SGL Drive Replacement Procedure

Simcheck

Okay I've removed from Spare Pool. Now it shows up as legacy drive. I don't see a way to add to current RAID. Maintenance or Recover still behaves as before i.e.no action taken and Raid remains as Disabled. Reviewing the doc references but so far don't see a reference to this...

By the way thanks so much for your patience...

schoondoggy

Does this come up under the Maintenance tab;

Maintenance: Maintenance will provide features that allow the user to perform general maintenance features on the RAID array. Specific conditions of the RAID array will have different option available when Maintenance is selected: 
        1) RAID status is "Normal", there will be a "Verify" button available. 
        2) RAID status is "Critical", there will be a "Add" button available.
        3) After "Add Disk" then Rebuilding, it displays "Stop" button. 

Do you have a Add Disk button under Maintenance?

Simcheck

Ok assume we are talking in the Web GUI and not BIOS....

There is no 'Maintenance' Tab. The only high level tabs are Global View, Physical, Logical, Setting, Event, SHI, Recover, LogOut and Help (WebGUI version is 2.1.5.13.0415)

Maintenance as an option is only under Logical tab as a hyperlink under status of the array (which is disabled). Clicking on that shows the RAID in a hierarchy folder graphic and the new drive as offline. The only options at this dialogue are Delete, Unplug and Recover. Selecting Recover gives message - 'Some disks does(sic) not exist'

jmwills

Physical Tab>Devices.  Does the new drive show in that view?

I have GUI version 2.1.1.12.0601

Simcheck

Yes it does in physical order with the rest except it has a small 'L' superimposed on the drive icon to indicate Legacy...

schoondoggy

I have that deja vu feeling, someone else had this issue, but I cant find the thread.

I think the big problem is that the RAID set is disabled, it should show critical with a bad drive. With the RAID set disabled there is no RAID set to rebuild, so there would be no option for adding a drive and rebuilding.

jmwills

That sounds...not good.

Simcheck

That seems logical...

There is a Highpoint FAQ that supposedly addresses this " The status of the RAID array is 'Disable' after 1 disk was reported bad. How can I rebuild or repair my array?"

Unfortunately the steps listed don't work. It says to Create array but when I try that it only shows the Legacy drive for selection. Sort of a catch 22 situation.

pcdoc

That seems logical...

There is a Highpoint FAQ that supposedly addresses this " The status of the RAID array is 'Disable' after 1 disk was reported bad. How can I rebuild or repair my array?"

Unfortunately the steps listed don't work. It says to Create array but when I try that it only shows the Legacy drive for selection. Sort of a catch 22 situation.

If the card is set to auto rebuild, and you R and R the correct drive it should have just started by itself without any interactions.  Given that it did not, there are a few possibilities, one is the drive was replaced while the feature was disabled, two is you did something to disable the array it in the process, or three, your array is corrupted.  I would review the videos I did a while ago as I think one of them goes through a manual process of conversion.  This happened to me a long time ago when I "removed" a drive in the software instead of just pulling it out when my auto rebuild was disabled.  I am assuming that you may have done the same thing.  If possible, post a screen shot of what you are seeing

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheByobpodcast

Simcheck

Thanks PCDoc,

I honestly can't remember when I attempted to replace. I thought it was while it was already Disabled but it could have been while critical. But I will take a look at your videos and hopefully that will give me a path to rebuilding.

Will let you guys know. And again I appreciate the patience and quick responses......

Bob (in the other LA)